External Temperature Gauge - 12V

Polishmafiaboss

VIP Member
I have an '03 Mtn Viper. Fried a piston last year. Rebuilt the engine using an SRX lower with all of the Viper upper parts. I want to add an external temp gauge, as I think that was a contributing factor in why it fried last year. I currently have a Koso battery powered gauge installed. (Using an adapter that splits the upper coolant hose between the thermostat housing and the head, which has the supercool hauk head gasket installed.) I am not a fan of how quickly this thing eats batteries. I am looking at installing one of the 12V powered versions that Koso offers (primarily so I don't have to change the sensor or sensor wiring).

Does anyone have any experience using a gauge that wires into your 12V system on a sled that does NOT have a battery? (which means it does not have a constant power feed except when the sled is running.) I don't really care if it doesn't maintain the "set up" info for hi/low temp warnings and all that. If all I need to do is push a button to get to the temp readings, I'll be happy.

I really don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Thought I'd check with the brain trust on here and see who may have used something similar.

TIA.

(BTW: For those that have followed some of the other posts when I was working bugs out of the rebuild: The sled runs like an absolute beast!! Had it out last week when we got some snow. It was keeping up "OK" with my cousin's brand new VR1 Boost...... It feels snappier than it did before it fried the engine!)

you should be able power the gauge off of the lighting coil on that sled as it is dc, not ac like the older ones. converting to led lighting will make sure you do not stress out the stator.

brother ran a srx bottom end in hid 02 viper for a few seasons while he was looking for a viper one. it was way torqier than the oe bottom end was.

you should be able power the gauge off of the lighting coil on that sled as it is dc, not ac like the older ones. converting to led lighting will make sure you do not stress out the stator.

brother ran a srx bottom end in hid 02 viper for a few seasons while he was looking for a viper one. it was way torqier than the oe bottom end was.
So far, I’ve only had a chance to ride it once since the rebuild. It **is** feeling like it has a bit more torque than before. But I also hadn’t ridden it in a year😂😂. Been riding my SXr600.

I ended up tying into the blue/white for power up near the headlights. Tied into a good ground. Seems to work just fine so far. Going to the UP in a week or so. Will give it a good test ride then. Glad I saved the temp sensor extension that came with the other gauge. Needed it to route it so it won’t rub/chafe on anything. Have the gauge mounted just below the speedo/tach head on the dash. Time will tell how well it holds up. Just don’t want to overheat this one again😎

Back