1999 vmax 500 - seems like its missing at lower rpm and getting 4 mpg

Look at post #35 in that thread for a pic I posted a while back. And the machine in that thread only had 2800 miles.

Finally got a chance to look at it tonight.

Reed petals look good except for one. one of the centers does not look like it seals, not sure how important that is. its close, but not quite. One is slightly worn, I have seen them a lot worse. I will replace the bad one.

Both carbs had plugged pilot jet and pilot air jets. Does the way the main jet is installed look correct?

1672975770406.png

Attachments

• 1672973898233.png
    1672973898233.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 1672974760912.png
    1672974760912.png
    699.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 1672974816375.png
    1672974816375.png
    834.1 KB · Views: 12
Look at post #35 in that thread for a pic I posted a while back. And the machine in that thread only had 2800 miles.

IWhat do you think? It seems like there are supposed to b shrouds on the pilot jets or do only the 700s use those?

Thanks!

Is the reed petal where the center one does not seem to close all the way bad? Thanks for all your help on this fellas.

The wound from the $1 a mile for gas ride I took a week ($33 total) for the $12 burger and fries is slowly healing! lol

Is the reed petal where the center one does not seem to close all the way bad? Thanks for all your help on this fellas.

The wound from the $1 a mile for gas ride I took a week ($33 total) for the $12 burger and fries is slowly healing! lol
I would replace the reads.

No shrouds on the twins.
I've already told you what the problem is, but as we already know there are no parts to solve the issue

Reed petals look good except for one. one of the centers does not look like it seals, not sure how important that is. its close, but not quite. One is slightly worn, I have seen them a lot worse. I will replace the bad one.

Both carbs had plugged pilot jet and pilot air jets. Does the way the main jet is installed look correct?

View attachment 67370

those jets where most likely the issue but those reeds need to be replaced. i did the reed stopper notch to mine and it made a noticable difference in starting and performance.

from the tec pages:
This Modifications can be done on the 97 & Up SX700 & 600 Triple Style Motors and the 97 & Up 500 & 600 Twin Style Motors non Power Valved.

See the attached pictures to show what needs to be notched in the reed stoppers. Notch size is 24mm tapered to 18mm wide and 4 mm deep. You can do this on a bench grinder after you take the reed stoppers off. If you do this notch you don't have to get reed spacers. They do the same thing. This mod and the reed
spacers unblock the intake port for a straighter flow into the case on the top side of the reed stopper (Notch goes Up).

View attachment 67370
I'm wondering if someone can tell me if a worn reed (doesn't seal in the center opening) can can cause a lean condition? I just did my pre-season carb clean and ran my machine on the stand for 10 minutes, blipping to 4k occasionally, one plug shows lean compared to the other two and I noticed one of the reeds wasn't fully sealing just like this picture. I've ordered one new OEM reed to replace the one tired one but I'm wondering if this was causing the lean condition (not sure how it would).

Last edited:
those jets where most likely the issue but those reeds need to be replaced. i did the reed stopper notch to mine and it made a noticable difference in starting and performance.

from the tec pages:
This Modifications can be done on the 97 & Up SX700 & 600 Triple Style Motors and the 97 & Up 500 & 600 Twin Style Motors non Power Valved.

See the attached pictures to show what needs to be notched in the reed stoppers. Notch size is 24mm tapered to 18mm wide and 4 mm deep. You can do this on a bench grinder after you take the reed stoppers off. If you do this notch you don't have to get reed spacers. They do the same thing. This mod and the reed
spacers unblock the intake port for a straighter flow into the case on the top side of the reed stopper (Notch goes Up).

I found two main nozzles in Canada, eh? One showed up last week, the other one is taling the long way.

It came into the US in Chicago (6 days) > Elk Grove Village, St Paul, Champagne, Chicago, Oshkosh, Oak Creek, in transit for 2 days now - I hope they do not lose it!

Back