2002 Yamaha Venture 700 - New to me

Snowman74

Just got into a 2002 Yamaha Venture 700, anyone ever do much to these for changing clutching or gearing? I found a post saying a 1.5" track fits under these. I ride 90% ditch and have 2 young boys that a 2-up makes it easier to get them along for the fun. Still want to have this set up as something I can take out by myself and have some fun with. Weight doesn't bother me, suspension I can deal with. Just wondering if anyone has had luck with a different gear or clutch setup for making these more of a crossover sled.

i would not put a 1.5" lug into that sled without going to 8 tooth drivers for clearance on the front heat exchanger. replaced the track 2x in my dads 2005 venture 700 and the 1.25" track i have in there was pretty tight going in on the stock 9 tooth drivers.

the driver change will drop the gearing and make it more agressive. as to the clutching changes, look for sx700, sx700r, venture 700, xtc 700 and vmax 700 in
bullet1.gif
TOTALLYAMAHA USER CLUTCHING CHARTS. you most likely want someone who was running agressive corner to corner clutching for the trails with stock pipe or silencer mod for best results.

ventures are pretty good boon docker once the soft clutching is rectified.

I'm sure I'll have to remove the heat exchanger protectors to fit it. I used to run a 1.75 on my old viper. I'm looking at running the Cobra 1.375" track. I ran that one before with good results. I hate the ripsaw tracks and the Intense 1.5 is hard to find at a decent price. If I gotta drop to 8t drivers I'll probably get a 1.75 on it. Also I don't run studs.

For the clutching and gearing I wasn't sure if I should be looking more at the SXr or Mountain Max for comparison.

Also is the skid in the Venture the same as the Mountain Max? As in the attack angle of the track?

Last edited:
With smaller drivers, you will already be gearing down 2 teeth over factory settings.

idk about the attack angle as i had never compared them.

just go sxr with oe pipe unless you are planning on going longer than 136" stock track on it. i think pretty much everyone convereted to 144" track at some point on the mountain max's.

Back