Help Turk Im New Clutching

MAD MAX V-MAX

:o| I have a 2000 sxr 700 with bender pipes, vforce 11 reeds, reed spacers
advantage roller secondary with i think a 47/39 or 47/41 helix at 90 deg green spring havent taken helix off yet to check angle well i just broke the primary spring of course the spring is made by i dont know who ???? buy the way i bought all this stuff used my primary set up is weights off a approx 97 sx 8ch stk 3.6 heel 2.4 tip 16mm rollers the spring was all yellow with a blue ident. line top to bottom i was thinking of putting in a WGW spring would i be way of or what? my engagment was 4200 it would spike at 9000 breifly and settle down to aprox 8500 i was going to go to a 15.6 roller to get rid of the spike as far is i could tell it pulled prety hard but im lost on the spring can you give me some sugestions

That is a lot of helix for a stock sx-r. Don,t go into powder with it but will work well on trails. The 8ch weights with 16mm rollers are causing your spike. To get rid of it you gotta run 15.mm rollers, Use a g-s-g primary spring. Engagement will be about 4200 rpm with the 15mm rollers. I would back off secondary to 70 or 80 max!!! do these changes & you will be very close. I had a stock 97 700 mm running this set up with that helix & it was very close.

Well ive ordered the parts you sug. from my dealer since its the weekend i put the wgw spring so i can atleast ride. On the track stand it comes in at about 4500 with 15.6 rollers just over bender spec im currious to see were it will run top rpm took my helix apart and it is a 47/41 should i go to a say 50 or 51 with a 6 to 8 degree spread finish angle i dont know what angles advantage sells yet but i want to try your set up first i also ordered a couple of engagement shims to get engagement at about 4400 also thinking about droping the pilots from 52.5 down to fiftys it seemed to drop of a bit at about 90-100 mph im wondering if its a bit fat im going to try one thing at a time

I asked Turk almost that same question once regarding my 700 triple with Bender pipes. Mind you we were talking about mildly ported motors, but he mentioned 50 pilots being a little lean for comfort. I'd say it's in the range of acceptable without porting. I know the Bender spec for your set-up is 52.5 pilots and 150 mains. With porting it's 55 pilots and 152.5 mains. I went to 150s and did have 52.5s in there last spring, but bumped it back to 55s for winter. Turk said these things like big pilots. I am, however, getting pretty poor fuel economy. Hauls like a demon though.

Im running 52.5s also, ran rich at part throttle, but strong top end, put a tempaflow on, adjusted it 1/8th turn and now shes running nice. Ive got 50s, but been hesitant in throwing them in. When its warmer, i turn the tempaflow a bit more,seems to work well. 2nd year running it, no problems yet.

I`m also running the 52.5/150 combination on mine with Benders and this thing sucks fuel like an M1 tank !!! I have 1 layer removed from the head and Vforce3 reeds with spacers.

Have been doing a lot of testing now and I would not dare go down on the main jets. The plugs have a cardboard, almost white colour if I do a full throttle run and cut the engine after 0.5km:s at -10°C
If I do the same at 1/4 throttle the plugs are a bit darker but not that much.
I will try the 50 pilots later and see how it works out.
At half throttle I see the same result like at full thr.

Clutch set up as follows: Y-S-Y primary, 8Ch with 4.5g and 3.1 at the tip. 15mm rollers. Secondary at 60° with an 50/42° Max. perf. helix, green spr.
I have tried the 89L:s with different springs, shims and rollers but I just cant get the rpm:s up to 8500 - 8700 with those weights :o| .
The engine has lightning fast throttle response and the sound is awsome though :rockon:

I`m a bit dissappointed with the low end performance. Have done some racing with my friend and his 00 700 SXR with 2 layers removed and reed spacers. He gets me at start by 1 sledlength and holds that up to 100km/h, then it seems like he hits the brakes and just dissappears backwards.
Really, I should get him from the start and then increase the distance further.

Racing against an 02 800 Edge X Poo with SLP single pipe is the same result from the start. He gets me with 2 sledlenghts and then slowly, very slowly he walks away in front of me, but i do not expect anything else either. If we go side by side at 120km/h and we both hit the throttle at the same time he`s having troble going away from me, he does, but very slow.

This machine has to have more low end potential somewhere to be found but at this pont im not sure what to do....

Excuse my spelling.......

:WayCool: Turk your a genius on my way up to the cottage i picked up my new stuff and installed it at 1:00 am fri night went out sat morn and proceded to smile, during a poker run on sat i played around with the secondary tryed 80 deg. first worked great 95 mph then tryed 70 deg worked even better just went to 100 mph on speedo real quick. going to try 60 deg next and see what happens worried about back shift im wondering if it will suck in the belt on the secondary still thinking about the 50s i ride at about 1000 feet above sea level also thinking about gearing any sug oh ya it comes in at 4200 hits 8700 and holds there right to 100 mph ive got simons flexi ski's they work great but ive been told they rob you of top end speed. by the way i won nothing at the poker run but after having a couple of donnybrook's out in the middle of the lake i still went home smiling.

I would get rpm,s down a little more but 8700 is fine for hi speed runs & will give better backshift. A 4.5 inner rivet & a 3.1 outer should get ya 100%.... Leave secondary at 70 but wrap at 80 when playing in powder. A silver at 60 works good too!!!

Last edited:
on sat i put on about 110 km 68 miles and used approx 24 litres 6.3 us gal thats with a lot goofing around wide open down as many lakes as i could and we ran alot of them so i gues 10-12 maybe more on a normal day i was a little bit happy with the love flipper this weekend thanks to turk. sunday we just took the kids around the lake and then did some laps on the drag strip gas gauge didnt move

Back