Extra idlers on the skid

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I see lots of posts about the extra idler kits people have added,and I use them too,but what I want to try is adding another of the stock idler set on an axle right where the rubber bumper is on the skid rails.I have put the extra idler kits on that spot for years and for one reason or another just can't keep them there.Either the wheel goes off or the odd time I've lost the whole unit,and yes I realize that's a fastener issue.But I feel if I put another axle with the 5.25" wheels,the same as what's just ahead of the rear axle,in right where the majority of the excess slider wear happens.The rest of the slider has lots of wear left in it but this one spot is basically wore of long before the rest.I'm not sure if there's room to put one of those axles in there and wondered if anyone else has done this.The attached pic is where I want to add the idlers

Attachments

• '01 with skid location for extra idlers.png
    '01 with skid location for extra idlers.png
    372.1 KB · Views: 9

I see lots of posts about the extra idler kits people have added,and I use them too,but what I want to try is adding another of the stock idler set on an axle right where the rubber bumper is on the skid rails.I have put the extra idler kits on that spot for years and for one reason or another just can't keep them there.Either the wheel goes off or the odd time I've lost the whole unit,and yes I realize that's a fastener issue.But I feel if I put another axle with the 5.25" wheels,the same as what's just ahead of the rear axle,in right where the majority of the excess slider wear happens.The rest of the slider has lots of wear left in it but this one spot is basically wore of long before the rest.I'm not sure if there's room to put one of those axles in there and wondered if anyone else has done this.The attached pic is where I want to add the idlers
You can't put idlers there because when the suspension compresses, the wheel will hit the upper shaft.
Whenever adding extra idler wheels you must be mindful of what it will contact with the suspension fully bottomed.

Back