1996 vmax 600 water pump belt installation

caddylover

working on my brothers sled and his overheating issue is the waterpump belt had broke. I picked up an aftermarket and for the life of me can't get this thing installed. Won't fit over both pulleys. i know tension is tight with the belt at about 1/4" factory spec but this is ridiculous. Spent hours trying to spin this on. There has to be a trick to this that i don't know. I don't have a manual and there has to be a way to adjust tension so that this slips on.

From what i can see it has to go on the w/p pulley first but can't get it to go over the pulley on the stator.

Please help! :)

since there is absolutely no help here, i'll let you know what i did.

Pulled the stator pulley off, split the pulley and found only two shims. put the face of the pulley back on the flywheel, put the belt on the face, put the outside face on the inside face then proceeded to put the three bolts back in to flywheel. Put the 3 screws with some blue loctite back into this side of the pulley. Tension is def tight, but it's not a lake runner sled.

Since this sled is a POS and he doesn't take care of it anyways, it's good enough to putt around the yard.

Back