Viper overheating

Daniel_Ripley

Hey guys, I'm looking for some insight before I just go throwing parts at my viper. I got it off my cousin, it's been sitting in a barn for the last like 10 years. I had a local small engine mechanic clean the carbs and clutch on it and got it running good. I ran it around my yard for a couple mins to make sure everything was working and the temp light came on. I parked it and looked in the coolant reservoir and saw bronze glitter for the lack of a better term floating on top and around the reservoir. It's was evening and maybe 50 fahrenheit and obviously no snow. Just over heating because of the conditions and maybe old/bad gas? Should I just flush the coolant and hope for the best? How can I check that the water pump is circulating? I was going to check the thermostat but opened up the assembly and it didn't have one. Any help for someone who doesn't know much about sleds would be very appreciated lol thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2043.jpeg
    IMG_2043.jpeg
    727.3 KB · Views: 7

50 deg and no snow will overheat these vipers. Sitting 10yrs a coolant flush wouldn’t hurt. The bronze glitter is concerning but it’s been sitting. Could be anything. Once flushed I would refill, and run. Observe overflow at idle and watch for tiny air bubble could mean head gasket leak Also you will see coolant circulating. I would also replace thermostat. If it doesnt have a rear heat exchanger I would look for one of those. Good places to start

50 deg and no snow will overheat these vipers. Sitting 10yrs a coolant flush wouldn’t hurt. The bronze glitter is concerning but it’s been sitting. Could be anything. Once flushed I would refill, and run. Observe overflow at idle and watch for tiny air bubble could mean head gasket leak Also you will see coolant circulating. I would also replace thermostat. If it doesnt have a rear heat exchanger I would look for one of those. Good places to start
The mechanic who did the tune up said he checked the head gaskets and they looked good. I will definitely do a coolant flush. If I’m understanding stuff I’m reading in the forums I would be looking for a heat exchanger off an srx?

Correct on SRX heat exchanger or even a parted out viper with one cause some models did come with factory heat exchanger. Same exact thing either way.

When the thermostat opens the coolant stops short looping (for faster warm up) and cools by long loop down the right heat exchanger accross the rear tube then up the left exchanger returning to the engine. Check with your hand to feel heat if the exchangers are hot to confirm the water pump.

Wow so i re-read your original post. No thermostat equals NFG. The coolant needs the t-stat to cool the engine. This engine cooling system has two coolant paths. Short loop or when the t-stat opens the long loop. The t-stat controls the path. Do not run the engine without the T-Stat. Also just to check out if damage occurred without t-stat check compression to see if someone else hurt the engine. Compression is easy to check. Report back your PSI findings.
---mac---

Wow so i re-read your original post. No thermostat equals NFG. The coolant needs the t-stat to cool the engine. This engine cooling system has two coolant paths. Short loop or when the t-stat opens the long loop. The t-stat controls the path. Do not run the engine without the T-Stat. Also just to check out if damage occurred without t-stat check compression to see if someone else hurt the engine. Compression is easy to check. Report back your PSI findings.
---mac---
My understanding of how a thermostat works is that it is closed until it gets to temp and then opens and allows the coolant to flow and get cooled down. Without a thermostat installed wouldn’t it be like a thermostat just being open all the time? Shouldn’t prevent the coolant from flowing

Nope. Its not like a car or truck. Takes off the therstat housing and look inside. You will see two different paths that the coolant can travel. When its cold the coolant is directed to the short loop under the motor and back through the engine. This make the engine warm up faster. After the engine heats up and the thermostat opens th coolant takes the long path through the heat exchangers.
The thermostat operates more like a directional valve. Short loop or long loop.
Without thermostat it would only short loop and overheat. You cant run without the thermostat.

That bronze glittery stuff may be copper radiator sealer. Vipers are known to suffer from slight coolant leaks on the side coolers near the skid mounting bolt. The suspension stress is known to cause hairline cracks. Perhaps the previous owner added cooling system sealer? Just a thought.

Back