99 Vmax 700 deluxe tachometer not working

ceekay

I have a 99 700 deluxe with the "newer" style round tach/speedo gauges. Bought it with E-start, but a broken starter and no ring gear, so I removed all the e-start stuff. The tach shows 0 at idle, but will jump and start working in a narrow window of about 2,000-2,500rpm; anything higher or lower, and the needle shoots back to 0. This deluxe does not have the "condenser" installed by the gauges nor the wiring to accept one, but I see the plastic tab where it would mount.

I also have a 1998 700 XTC with no e-start and the older style tach gauge. This one has a condenser, and the tach works fine. I removed the condenser, and the tach still works fine.

I see a lot of talk about how removing e-start requires the condenser to "smooth out" the voltage/pulses from the CDI so the tachs can function, but I can only seem to get it working with a battery. I installed the e-start harness in the deluxe and installed a dirt bike battery. The tach works perfect!

This rules out a bad/chafed harness, and I know the tach is good.

I then tried wiring the XTC's condenser in place of the battery, and tach doesn't work. I also tried a big capacitor I had that's used to replace dirt bike batteries and smooth out the lighting at idle, and tach didn't work. I wired both of these in multiple places and the tach never worked.

The tach has 3 wires going to it: blue, brown, and black. According to the wiring diagrams, the brown is power from the rectifier, the black is ground, and the blue is...well I don't really understand. I can trace it back to a green/red wire from the tach and also to the rectifier, so I don't know how the signal is received. I was expecting to see a ground wire, a power wire, and a signal wire; clearly I don't know how these tachs work.

Any ideas or suggestions? And can anyone explain the function of the tach better?

Back