High speeds on sleds vs bikes

Donnyvan

I have a Yamaha Apex and a Yamaha FZ1, which shares the same engine. I have done top speed runs on both: dreamometer 126 & 185 (actual ~105 & 155) respectively.
Why is it that 100+ on a sled feels like I am flying yet cruising at 100 on the bike is nothing? but if I go 65 on my wr450f I am about to s*** my pants. All these feel stable at those speeds though. Is it the wind on my body? or height off of the ground? Just wondering if its just me or if other people feel the same way. On all 3 of the machines, at their top speed, the sled FEELS like I am going the fastest

You probably ride the bike more often than the sled. The bike is on smooth highways with wide lanes.

My snowmobile on ice goes 70+, and it not nearly as scary as flying down the trails at 55mph with trees to your left and right. Also, the road bike is setup to actually go that speed. When you're tucked on a crotch rocket all the air is going around you. Try tucking on your dirt bike lol

some of it is the weight of what you are riding. other thing is centre of gravity. wr is most likely the highest with the sled being 2nd to the bigger bike. the trees whipping past closer on the sled does help with the excitement though.

I think it is the setting, riding through the trees on not a perfectly smooth surface. I love my bike, but sleds are by far my favorite and feel the fastest

That's a good point. While the uneven surface doesn't give me that "ludacris speed" feeling, the trees definitely help add to that. However, even riding on a lake feels faster than ripping a bike down a back road at 120 (still exhilarating as hell). Maybe its the height too? going 30 in a gokart feels fast just because you're 3 inches off the ground. The sled is definitely the lowest riding of the three.

I think that's right on the money. Closer you are to the ground the faster it seems to be passing by you!

Back