Lost spark

stolzy

VIP Member
98 srx 700. Passed this to my 14 year old daughter last year anyways lost spark in all three holes after warm up and driving it around front. I don’t think all three coils would die at once? Last year the hand warms we’re getting so warm theyed burn your hands. Not sure if this is a related issue or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Very unlikely all coils would fail at the same time.
The overheating hand grips are probably the smoking gun.
The early Yamaha SRXs and SXs are famous for wiring harness rub throughs usually under the engine. If you use the search function for wiring harness problems there should be info on this but it usually requires fishing the harness out and checking/repairing broken insulation and wires then reinstalling.
Check all your wiring on the sled maybe rodents have been at the wires some where like under the steering pad.
If all the wiring checks out then time to turn your attention to the stator.

I had to repair what felt like every wire in the harness in multiple spots whe I first got the sled. Ended up rerouting the harness so it no longer runs under the engine. Yamaha no longer makes a stator. Going to have to hunt one down. Ty !

I had to repair what felt like every wire in the harness in multiple spots whe I first got the sled. Ended up rerouting the harness so it no longer runs under the engine. Yamaha no longer makes a stator. Going to have to hunt one down. Ty !
RM stator still sells a stator for that vintage of SRXs. Replace the voltage regulator as well. If the grip heaters still get too hot after you get it running again leave them unplugged until you determine why so they don't damage your electrical system.

The 98-99 SRX had really good heated grips. Not related in any way to the ignition, unlike the 2000 and up SRX's.

Back