Vk540 oil injection delete 2004

I bought it that way the previous owner deleted it because his buddy's pump went on his and the engine seized up

I'm curious, why would you delete it?
It drives me nuts when people do this. I have some older machines come through my shop with this done sometimes. Sometimes I've talked some sense into them and re-install it. One of the greatest features to come to snowmobiles.
In all my career in this business I've only ever seen one fail on a skidoo 368.

my dad's 78 et250 lost the linkage to increase the oil when accelerating from idle. thought it was the days conditons as it was a warm march day. he threw oil in the gas and it quit bogging. found the linkage once he got to camp and re installed it. blew the piston on it around 1990 when it was running for summer maintenece. the piss off about it was the decompressor on it blew taking out the piston 10 hours after it was rebuilt.

There was a time when someone thought the oil pump had quit. The problem turned out to be that the owner had installed a different clutch on the engine not realizing the gear on the backside of the Yamaha clutch was to drive the pump.

I have a VK that i bought as a tow truck/ ski groomer... Ran well but hated to idle .. put about 300km on over a
few years ... finally decided to pull the offending plug out ... Packed with almn ? Backed it into may garage and
discovered the skirts were packed into the ports , pin had made a 3/16 gouge in the wall and scored all
the way around ... IT NEVER QUIT ...
Discovered PTO seal blown into injection gear cavity and the plug in the cavity wasnt even in the machine ,,. Some
one had probably used starting aid before i bought it.
Found a used SR540 ? and rebuilt it with my flywheel for elec start.. Had to extend the carb from the manifolds as
cable would not reach and the older engine injected oil direct into each side... The original injection was
injected into the fuel line and apparently just went into the carb as "happy" mix ...Which means if you idle for a
few moments , maybe 120:1 ... then take off WOT ... you are burning the idle mix until the higher ratio mix
gets in the bowl...
Anyway , it goes like stink now ,, but still ways 700lb loaded and loves to bump steer in the woods ...
slow moment here at work ,,, no snow near Toronto this year ,, nothing much getting broken
Ron

Back