Race Port Engine Not Pulling RPM

JB.SRX700

Hey guys new to the forum, I looked for a topic on this already and wasn’t able to find one. Here’s what’s going on, this year I just got my 02 srx done by Iantomasi. My invoice states “full race port”. Has 14:1 ratio, 36mm carbs, heads shaved, case and cylinder porting, Vforce reeds with spacer. I’m running aaen pipes was very happy with them last year stock sled was running 118 at 8400 on gun every time I was at a radar run. Sled is still at same set up as last year with 23/40 gears, green spring 51/43 helix wrapped at 70, www primary 8bu-00 at 54g. Got engine back and I can’t pull rpm It will only rev 8000-8100. Powervalves were set, I am very rich as I have 160 mains with needle at #4. I am going to try 157.5 just wasn’t sure if any could help me out as maybe there is something else I need to do??

More info required:
_Where are you located?
-altitude and temperature you are trying to jet for?
-What RPM did Iantomasi specify that the engine should run at?
-What 36mm carbs are you using?
The porting may not be compatible with the Aaen pipes.
I would concentrate initially on the jetting of the 36mm carbs before I touched the clutching as a full race ported engine should want to exceed the rpm the engine previously pulled.
I have used Aaen pipes on a 2002 SRX in the past and I found them very particular at the RPM they ran at .
When rejetting the carbs be very conservative and ensure you are using good fuel as you do full throttle runs and read plugs and piston wash.

More info required:
_Where are you located?
I would concentrate initially on the jetting of the 36mm carbs before I touched the clutching as a full race ported engine should want to exceed the rpm the engine previously pulled.
I have used Aaen pipes on a 2002 SRX in the past and I found them very particular at the RPM they ran at .
When rejetting the carbs be very conservative and ensure you are using good fuel as you do full throttle runs and read plugs and piston wash.
Thanks for the reply Bob
I’m located in Ontario,
Trying to jet for -5 to -10 as our winter have been mild
As for altitude I’m roughly 195 metres
I was never given a rpm range to run the engine so I have no answer for that, my carbs are stock srx carbs that tamosi bored out to 36mm. I am at 160 which I know is fat I needed somewhere to start and wanted to be safe. I am dropping down to 155s. I was running 94 octane and used vp booster to get to 100 octane, (tamosi cut heads for 100 octane) today I have bought gulf 112 I will be draining tank and putting the 112 by its self as I was told it’s realisticly 105.

More info required:
_Where are you located?
I have tried multiple times to call Aaens preformance and email them trying to get info on their pipes to see what rpm they like I have read on here they built them to run 8300-8500 to be in range for srx cdi. I have heard they make race pipes and trail pipes but on their website I can only find 1 part number for the srx

When I ran the Aaen pipes on my ported 2002 SRX I found stock RPM or maybe max 8800[with some timing advance]was where they seemed to perform the best. As you stated the ECU on the SRX was designed to run @ 8500 and starts to pull timing after that.
With a full race ported engine you may be into an incompatibility with the ECU and the pipes as the porting may be optimum at a much higher rpm then stock.
On the 02 SRX you can use the ECU off of a 2002 Viper maybe for only drag racing as it will work but it will render the DCS system inoperative. The Viper ECU has much more timing so mid range jetting, fuel, and heat become very important for engine survival. The Aaen pipes on a Viper were run at @ 9000 rpm but I believe the Viper pipes were slightly shorter to get that RPM and due to different cylinders and manifolds they are not interchangeable.
I would contact the company that ported the engine for recommendations on RPM, PIpes [stock might be better], and jetting.
With your present setup cautiously move to smaller main jets and target 8400 RPM and see how things work out. I would think 152.5 jets are about as max lean as this setup should be and that may be too lean.

When I ran the Aaen pipes on my ported 2002 SRX I found stock RPM or maybe max 8800[with some timing advance]was where they seemed to perform the best. As you stated the ECU on the SRX was designed to run @ 8500 and starts to pull timing after that.
With a full race ported engine you may be into an incompatibility with the ECU and the pipes as the porting may be optimum at a much higher rpm then stock.
On the 02 SRX you can use the ECU off of a 2002 Viper maybe for only drag racing as it will work but it will render the DCS system inoperative. The Viper ECU has much more timing so mid range jetting, fuel, and heat become very important for engine survival. The Aaen pipes on a Viper were run at @ 9000 rpm but I believe the Viper pipes were slightly shorter to get that RPM and due to different cylinders and manifolds they are not interchangeable.
I would contact the company that ported the engine for recommendations on RPM, PIpes [stock might be better], and jetting.
With your present setup cautiously move to smaller main jets and target 8400 RPM and see how things work out. I would think 152.5 jets are about as max lean as this setup should be and that may be too lean.
Okay I am going to cut back on my fuel until I have nice piston wash and plug colour. Put the good race fuel in and see what happens from there. Hopefully I can a gain in some rpm, my buddy has exact sled as me with same clutching gearing ext. except 01 and same porting stock pipes. His sled worked good until he put the same carbs and jetting in that I am running he now can’t pull rpm either so I’m believing we are into a carberator issue (fingers crossed). I will be testing today or tomorrow and will tell you with the out comes. Also I do have a viper cdi and always planned to jet high to compensate then hotter timing curve if that will work?, have you ever heard of moving the pick up a bit to bump timing up for stock srx cdi??

I used a 2 degree flywheel key on my 2002 SRX and installed it to advance the timing.
I did a lot of work to my 2002 SRX to gain performance but it never was as quick and fast as our Ported and Bender piped ect 700 SX redhead was...close but not quite there.

I used a 2 degree flywheel key on my 2002 SRX and installed it to advance the timing.
I did a lot of work to my 2002 SRX to gain performance but it never was as quick and fast as our Ported and Bender piped ect 700 SX redhead was...close but not quite there.
So here’s an update. I have put the good fuel in, I reset powervalves to be sure, still not pulling rpm ranging anywhere from 7600-8000. I tried stock heads in case the new ones were not working. I have played with secondary clutching, I’m down to 155 mains starting to have pretty nice plug colour I checked wash but only have 50miles on sled so there isn’t a lot of colour going on the pistons yet. I am going to try stock pipes just as one last thing before I am unfortunately going to have to send this damn thing to someone to have it put on a dyno and get tuned. Have a lot of money into this engine now and just want it to work.

So here’s an update. I have put the good fuel in, I reset powervalves to be sure, still not pulling rpm ranging anywhere from 7600-8000. I tried stock heads in case the new ones were not working. I have played with secondary clutching, I’m down to 155 mains starting to have pretty nice plug colour I checked wash but only have 50miles on sled so there isn’t a lot of colour going on the pistons yet. I am going to try stock pipes just as one last thing before I am unfortunately going to have to send this damn thing to someone to have it put on a dyno and get tuned. Have a lot of money into this engine now and just want it to work.
Have you revved it out on a stand and observed the pulley operation for the servo motor?

Another thing to check is the TPS setting. Since you have increased the carb size from 33mm to 36mm you are now pulling the slides a lot higher which also rotates the TPS and that will alter the TPS voltage to the ECU. Try adjusting and setting the TPS to the stock setting and see if that helps. The procedure is in the maintenance manual and also should be information on TPS issues if you do a search.
If you have a stock carb rack you could try installing the stock carbs and see if the bored carbs are causing an issue.

Last edited:
Did u know what type of porting they did ..exhaust and intake duration .. did u try the stock clutch to start

Back