Piped vmx 600, how long it will last?

Ike

Ok guys

i have heard that piped 600 twin wont last. It has lean point somewhere at midrange, is it true? One of my sleds is vmx 600 -96 with GYT pipes, altitude where i ride is about 300 f.

Needle clip position is 2.5 and main jet should be 155 to that altitude according GYT pipe kit instructions. I`ve been running 700 kms with 160 main jets and engine feels yo be too rich at top end, no other problems. Can i go to 155 main jets, will engine go too lean at midrange?

Any experiences?

Ike ;)!

I would run the 155 mains. Then do a sparkplug color check. Find a place where you can run wide open for a 1/4 mile then shut her down with your hand still holding the throttle wide open. Pull the plugs and make sure they are cocoa brown (proper color). If they are whiteish grey, it's to lean and you WILL burn a piston. If they are black, it's still rich, and you could go down to 153.8 mains. But keep in mind, temperature has a large effect on jetting.

Last edited:
I have a a 94 V-max with the same gyt's. 152.5 mains and 2.5 clip and it still seems to run rich at half. She seems to pull a whole lot harder at -15 c, But anything warmer I get the bog. Not sure if I should go any leaner??? What your topend like with your setup? My 94 has a slight bog at take off then pulls hard at 5500 (lifting the the front end) but seems to be lacking top speed.

It

looks like you (nosnownogo) have same problems. My setup is 8ay weights(max rivets) and white-white-white spring, it is vmx 600 97 stock setup. I have little bog in midrange too, but its very little after i put new spring to clutch. Before there was xts stock spring what is bit longer but softer.

Last time when i checked plug color it was dark black but I didnt do it like Tink said. Next time i keep throttle wide open, turn engine off and check plug color.

Next time I`ll be riding on thursday and do some testing. THANKS guys!

I`ve planned to by mixture gauge what wont lie, check it it out here. http://www.fmi.vtoy.fi/

Ike

and

i forgot to tell I lack top speed too, anyway i feel that stock was faster. My sleds engament rpm is 4000 and it pulls hard from 6000-8300 what is max rpm.

Ike

Ike, you should be at 8000 rpms. Your sled is very tempermental with jetting, but if you get it right , you will know. Tink.

I bought the mixture gauge

Yep, I bought it. ;):D

Question is : from where I do get the power to use it ? Is there a easy accessable , safe wire somewhere, since I don`t have battery and electric start.

Please, answer if you know. I don`t want to spoil my electrics. The sled is Gyt piped XT 600 -96. :o|

Thank`s

Ike

Here is a pic of that FMI 1.4 gauge.

Should help with all that jetting :WayCool:

Ike

Back