M-10 slide replacement

Bob Quale

Has any one replaced the slides on a m-10 on a 1999 sx? How do I get the slides out? Do I have to loosen or remove the track? Where to start?

Bob

M 10

I have a 151W M10 on my 01 SXr and you have to notch the track windows a bit larger to install. I just use a channel lock plier to pull the old sliders off, peeling it off the rails. Then install through the larger track windows with lots of lube. Don't forget to remove the front mounting screw.

Just remove the screws at the front of the rails. I believe mine is an 03' model and it needed a #27 torx driver. Like gild said you will need to notch one of the windows on the track on each side at the back to push them through the track. Just put the end of a punch or screw driver on the edge of the hyfax at the front and wack it with a hammer a few times to get the slider through the track. Clamp the back end with a channel lock and pull it off.
Once the hyfax is off take a minute to clean the dirt and sand that collected on the bottom of the rails, this will make it easier to install the new slides.
Pay attention to weather the block that the front idler wheel mounts to is rubbing the slide on the top. When I did mine the left side came off without much resistance. The right side for some reason was rubbing on the block and wouldn't move. I just pulled the two bolts that hold the block assy and it came rite off. I put the block back in after the new slide was installed.
Put a little WD40 on the slides and push them up the rails. Once you get to the bend in the rail at the front you'll need to wack the hyfax to move it. I just used a piece of wood that would fit through the track window to drive the slide until it hit the front stopper.
Before you install the hyfax measure the distance of the screw hole from the center to the front edge of the old one and make sure the new slides hole is the same. The back edge of the slide is cut at a 45 degree angle. I just clamped the old slide to the new slide with the front holes aligned and marked where the cuts should go.
The first time I did the job it took me about an hour and a half, I'm sure thats pretty slow but it took me a while to figure out why the right side was binding.
Good luck.

OK,
Thanks for the tips! I got them out and in. It took about 30 minutes. The torx screws however are another deal! I got them in, but they got a litle striped. I am going to order new ones on Mon. They are a T-25 for anyone who needs to know. My m-10 is a 2002.

Next time, I will order new torx screws when I do the slides, and save the trouble!

Thanks for the help!

Bob

Back