Towing Question

towing vehicle

I have an 04 f-250 with the 6.0 psd with 2 warriors on a 2 place open running at about 75, i'm getting between 16 to 18 mpg

its the enclosed trailer. its like towing a parachute. I built a two place inline and it make a huge difference. orginaly was towing with an 97 taurus sho 4.3l v8. sucked iwhen it snowed but when roads were clear it rocked. got about 13 to 15 and would go 90 yes 90 up a that killer hill on I91 in vermont. (takes you to the highest pt on 91 if you have been up you know the one) I don't think the trans was to happy about that. failed in the spring. oops. Unless you move to a diesel the gas milage will continue to be poor. right now I'm towing with a suburdan 5.7l and it gets about 12 to 13 from concord nh to derby vt and then comes back up after things flatten out in canada. I like the crown vics. had and idea that a mark8 in front of a sleek two place in line would work. well 280 horse ..but in the snow I'd problably have the sleds towing the car....

2000 Excursion with 7.3L PowerStroke and a 60 h.p. chip pulling a 24' enclosed steel trailer with five sleds we get 12-13 mpg doing 75 mph all day long. Pulls EXCELLENT!

I just sold a 7.3 super crew with 3.73 gears. Pulling a 4 place enclosed and 4 fat guys in the cab I got 11.5 miles to the us gallon over 1300 miles at 65 - 70 mph. Empty it would get 15 miles to the us gallon. My new ride is a 6 litre super crew with the 5 spped auto trans. empty its at 19. Haven't pulled with it yet but I'm hoping for improved fuel economy. Sure has more power.

You guys with the 6.0's. Have you had them sh*t out on you? I have 4 buddies with them, all with very similar problems. They run good then all of a sudden have a hard time getting out of their own way, and Bellow smoke like a freighttrain with no go. All of which are from '03 to '05. We thought they had the "bugs" worked out for the '03, but they are stilling getting the same problem and all the dealers they have been to tell them it has to do it when they have the trucks. We have about 15 7.3's around and the only problem that comes about is the CPS which tend to go out every 60-80K or so.

i am very happy with my 2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke. runs liks a top and the power and torque is impressive to say the least.
empty i am getting 18 miles/us gallon and 21 miles/ imperial gallon on the calculator.
i have not figured out the milage yet while pulling my 18x7 foot enclosed interstate trailer (will do that next winter). i would suspect it will drop off a few miles per gallon.

Alot of people around here hate their 6.0 and wish they would have kept their 7.3s. I live in a small town, the only dealership is Ford, most everybody buys their pickups here in town but lately alo of people are talking Duramax. ;)!

personaly myself, i'd buy a Dodge Cummins before i bought a Chevy Duramax (the chevy's are but ugly in my opinion) but like i said, my Ford Powerstroke has performed flawlessly durring the 6 months i have owned it.

We have a 2000 Dakota with the 4.7L V8 pulling a 2400 lb 3 place trailer w/ 3 sleds. It revs just around 2000. We pull it in drive not overdrive. Getting about 16-19 mpg.

You guys with the 6.0's need to get to a big city dealer and have them hooked up to a puter. There are alot of updates that small town dealers don't know about. It has to do with the computer is all I know. I think you all need to live in my world for a day or 2, and you'll really love those 6.0's. 454 gmc suburban, pulling a 39 ft bumper hitch travel trailer=3.5 to 5.5 miles to the gallon. the higher #'s where after ne o2 sensors where installed. Put 3000 miles on it that way. Maxdlx

My 03 dodge durango gets around 14 hauling 2 sleds gets about11-12 when I do over 80 but will run up to 90-95 no problem. It has a 4.7 with 3.55 and use overdrive the entire time. You can't go wrong towing with a dodge.

97vmaxxtc said:
are you kidding me??

nope. the truck is posted in the haulers thread. when i drive it with the tunes turned up (54. max is 64 on the deck) i loose 100km off of my fuel milage. more if xbase is turned on. this is a sq set up. spl set up would be louder yet.

thread is http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6935
(i dont know how to make a link)

Last edited:

Back