Oil coming out of spark plug hole

robmc

I've got an 02 sx600r and occasionaly I get oil coming out of the spark plug holes. It's not a lot and the sled runs fine but I wanted to know what causes this.

Last edited:

its caused by the crush gasket on the spark plugs leaking. This will happen overtime if the spark plugs are removed and reinstalled without being replaced. The spark plug manufacturer will tell you to replace the crush gasket everytime the plug is taken out, or maybe the whole plug, because i dont think the crush gaskets come off.

I had this issue the first few times I rode this season too.... put new plugs in after fouling one and the issue went away. I've been told this is very common with two strokes.

Blow by??...no..

Leaky gasket yes...make sure your plugs are tight to start with..if they're tight and its still making a mess throw a new set in.

Many people overtighten the sparkplugs and when overtightening you compress the gasket until it can`t be compressed any more. When you remove the sparkplug and then reinstall it the gasket wount seal as good as a non-totally-compressed one, atleast this is a theory I have:). You can also wipe off the threads both on the plugs and in the plug holes to remove the excessary oil.

I would think that it was running too rich but since it runs fine elsewise it probably isn`t. I remember when I got my first dirbike, I didn`t ride it hard enough so it didn`t burn away the oil and the plugs fouled.

Back