Yzf426f - Can It Be Street Legal?

MADVIPER

HELP!!! WENT DOWN TO THE LOCAL DEALER LOOKING FOR A DUAL PURPOSE
BIKE TODAY AND FOUND NOTHING FROM YAMAHA THAT WILL CUT IT. 225-
YA RIGHT. HATE TO SAY IT BUT THE SUZUKI DR400 LOOKED PRETTY GOOD.
ANYWAY, FOUND AN AD FOR A 2001 YZF426F USED, THAT SAYS ITS TITLED
AND STREET LEGAL. IS THAT NORMAL FOR THAT MODEL? OR CAN A GUY MAKE
ONE STREET LEGAL? PLEASE EDUCATE ME ASAP. THANKS. :o|

i dont know for certain who makes the kit but one is available to make any bike street legal. i know one is avail through yamaha. the things to check are that the tires are approved for road use, it has all the signals, mirrors, horn and plate light, and that the gas tank is steel (i dont know about your laws but in canada street bikes must have steel gas tank). it also must have a working spedometer.

i know what you mean though about bike size. i started on an 1992 xt225. beat the piss out of it for 18,000km (highest milage xt my dealer has seen with no trear down) over the 4 years i had it. got an offer i couldnt refuse on it (offered me what i paid for it). told the kid he could have it as soon as i had bike to replace it. went lookin for good used yamy/new. new i could only get another 225 or a 200. looked for used. found 2000 xt350 with 3500km on it for $4500.00. still got the 350 but it looks like i gonna have a honda, kawasaki or ktm for the next one. they are the only ones to make 650cc thumpers still for on road/off road use.

a little hint though if you are new to yamy bikes. on the 4 strokes the valves need to be set every 6000km. if you dont get them set they pop the head from the stem and make a big mess.

hope i helped a little.
maim :yam:

THANK YOU MAIM! YOUR INFO WAS JUST WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR! THE DEALER TOLD ME DEMAND FOR THAT MARKET WAS SO LOW THE YAMAHA COULDEN'T JUSTIFY THE R&D. TOO BAD. WISH I COULD BUY THE "Y" BUT EVERYTHING I HAVE FOUND ABOUT THE DRZ ON THE NET IS VERY POSSITIVE FOR A BIKE THAT SIZE. THE 600 WOULD BE NICE, BUT JUST WISH IT WAS LIQUID COOLED.

THANKS AGAIN

IF ANYOUNE HAS MORE INFO ON MINNESOTA LAWS, THAT WOULD BE GREAT!
:rocks:

E-Line and Baja Designs make kits to make it street legal, they also should have info you need to get it titled/registered.

just made my 250 rm street legal in mich. i had to put on a headlight , rear running light, brake light and a mirror. i got sick and tired of only running this trail or that trail, so now i can go anywhere :WayCool:

THANKS FOR THE INFO. DID ANYONE HAVE TO GO THROUGH EMISSION CHECKS FOR THE STATE? :o| I WAS TOLD THIS MAY HAVE TO BE DONE.

Back