How do i summerize my sled?

NOBODY TALKED ABOUT SUCKING ATF through your fuel system and into your motor!!! Your FUEL PUMP, CARBS, and WHOLE MOTOR will be protected and the ATF will CLEAN all your carbon out of your motor INCLUDING YOUR POWERVALVES!!!!! You will NEVER have to take apart your powervalves OR YOUR CARBS to clean your pilot jets EVER AGAIN!!! DRAIN the fuel tank to EMPTY or FILL IT UP AND STABILIZE it if you want to.. Spray a BUNCH of cans of YAMAHA silicone all over EVERYTHING and you will be GOOD TO GO!!!! Mice arent going to live in something that is covered with ATF!!!

so where do I suck the atf into on my 03 viper? I have heard about the awesome detergent properties of atf before and done it on cars, but never my sled and I dont know why lol! Eric

My experience has shown that storing the fuel tanks dry is better than wet (except for Sea Foam, Fogging Oil, or ATF). Note the steel tank concerns for older sleds. Storing the engine itself with adequate oiling (again Sea Foam, Fogging Oil, or ATF) can greatly extend the life of bearings, wrist pins, and other engine parts.

If you take the vent tube off the steering gate (above the left footwell on a Viper) you can slightly pressurize the gas tank. Incidentally I use this method to fill the carbs in the fall, as it saves a lot of pulling on the cord. Do not put very much pressure on the tank or you will blow the fuel pickup connector apart. I usually leave the gas cap slightly loose so I can hear it leaking slightly. If you take the feed line off the fuel pump, then it is real easy to drain all fuel from the tank quickly. Siphoning the tank is ok to start with, but it leaves quite a bit of fuel in the tank. Enough to idle a sled for a half hour or so. Once the tank is dry, the carbs will still have fuel enough to get it started and oil the engine. You can replace the fuel pickup line on the fuel pump, and take the other end off and drop it into a container with ATF or whatever oil you wish to use in it. Start it up and run it until it you can't keep it running with the enricheners open all the way. Then pull it over a number of times. Drain the carbs (I take mine completely off and store separately), and you should be good to go. Be sure to close off all openings and lube and treat all parts as suggested above.

excellent description ding, thanks! now when I get to it I should be able to do just what you say :) thanks again!

Nice explanation DING!!!! I usually pull the line off the tank and stick the fuel line in a quart of ATF.. That way,,,the ATF is through the carbs and fuel pump completely.. The ATF will NOT HURT your carbs AT ALL (in fact, its GREAT for them) but the trouble is when you go to restart them in the fall!!! It is best to (like you said) push some fuel through the fuel system with compressed air to get the ATF out of there!!!

ok I got the sled almost ready for storage. I fogged the crap out of it until I smoked up the whole nieghborhood,lol. Washed and waxed it. Sprayed silicon all over eveything(I did the can and muffler too,is this a bad idea?). sprayed the track with silicon also. going to use bounce. Now I have a stupid ?. This is my first sled and have no clue on how to grease the suspension. where do i grease it? what grease do i use and how much do i use? I was going to bring it to the dealer but want to be hands on and do it myslef.

StretchSXV - here is a link to the online owners manual

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/viewmanuals/viewmanuals.aspx?ls=sport

page 8-27 is lubrication (in the 02 viper manual)

most lubrication is done with grease gun, use good quality low temp grease. You should be greasing it after every ride...helps get the water, dirt and contamination out, preventing premature wear. I usually pull my skid out every spring to grease EVERYTHING and check for cracks or any other issues...this way I know it is good to go in the fall...

Daman and Rancidjo- Thanks. that helps me out. I think I can do it. I`ll carry a grease gun in my truck so I can do it after every ride.Now I got something to do next weekend on the sled. God I already miss riding her.

Back