cooland draining 700SX

Tod

VIP Member
coolant draining 700SX

Need to drain the coolant so I can remove the top end, what is the best way to do it. I would like to catch the coolant so I can see how much was removed so I can be sure to get the same amount back in.

looks like there is not a good way to drain it without making a mess.

How did you do it...........

Thanks,
Tod

Last edited:

there is a bolt on the top of the water pump cover on the pto side of the engine, and that is the coolant drain. You will have to remove your exhaust to get at it. But you're right, it is very hard to drain the coolant without making a mess in some way.

I remove the pipes, and drain it into a 20 oz pop bottle cut in half from the front drain plug. This will get it down most of the way, but it will still leak some when the jugs are pulled. you might be able to pull one of the bottom water pump bolts to drain more, but it is imposible to catch. I did take a small shop vac once and suck it all right out the rad cap. You will need to pull the rear cooler plug to make it work. But man that was a pain, but it gets it all out too. Maxdlx

well once you get it down so that no more is coming out of the drain bolt on the top of the waterpump, the main hose out the front of the waterpump can be pulled to get the rest of it so that it doesn't go everywhere when the jugs are pulled. Pretty much impossible to catch out of the bottom hose though.

OK, thanks guys.

Just doing some preventative maint. 7000 miles - Going to re-ring if pistons are still in spec, new reeds going in, going through the rear suspention, going through the clutches, Just going to ride it one more year then give it to my oldest son or just keep it around and may look for a used 06. I may as well keep it around as they do not seem to be worth selling......... at least not for what they are selling for.

Tod

yea probably not really worth selling, especially since they are tough as nails and last forever.

tod,
your only tearing down the top end right ?

Best thing i have found for the top end is to put the sled on its side, get a bucket and take the cap off on the hose, that should drain off enough to do the top end. its worked for me.

Yes, hoping to get away with just re-ringing it. It still has 125psi in all three but 7000 miles.

wow, that is good compression. If i were you i wouldn't even touch the rings, sounds like you will be throwing money away. I dont think your compression will go much if any higher than that if you put new ones on. Says something about yamaha engines, and your's has even been piped for years.

Yamaholic

Yes i have been turnning 9100 rpm's for about 5000 miles now.

I have had a plug fouling issue for awhile and can figure it out, newer stator, plug caps are new, coils are fine, I can go through about three plugs in 5 miles and then it will be good the rest of the day, reeds? oil pump? tired motor?
One time I checked compression and only had 80 in one cylinder, checked it two other times and its been 120 or 125 in all three, stuck ring? ---- so I just thought I would go through the whole sled, i even bought an oil pump too as mine is original and I think there were issues on some of the 97's.

any thoughts???

Tod

when you check compression, are you always checking it with the engine at relatively the same temperature? That can change your numbers quite a bit. I would probably be a little worried about the 80 lbs when you checked it that time. Also make sure when you check compression you are holding it wide open, it can make a big difference. Good luck!

I checked it at different temps. But the main thing is to be consistant when testing. I always do it the same for all three cylinders.

My reeds are not sealing up in all locations so that could be a big part of it, hell I can see light through a couple of spots. 7000 miles on the stockers so i am trying to get a set from Sxviper32 aka bryant.

Thanks,
Tod

the reeds could make a difference for sure, but i don't think it would be enough to drop the cylinder compression to 80. The big problems with the reeds not sealing is the fuel charge doesn't get up into the cylinders very well. Probably time for some new cages ;)!

how is ur jetting and oil pump settings? How many miles do you get out of a quart? Reason I am wondering is like you mentioned earlier, a stuck ring. But i was thinking that maybe if your jetting and/or oil pump settings are real rich, that could be leaving a lot of excess carbon on the crowns and rings which could be sticking them, ESPECIALLY when the engine is cold, because then the carbon is harder and would have a greater effect.

Back