Long tracking 97 Vmax SX

ThePunisher

Looking to long track my 97 Vmax SX 600,

For those of you that have done it, what parts and costs are involved?

How much work is it?

Is there an advantage to going with full length rails over rail extensions?

How noticeable is the difference between 121" and 136"?

Will my 600 be enough to power a 136"? or do I have to look at gearing/clutch changes also?

The top end of my motor was done at the beginning of last year...and I had a moderate riding season of 1600 km. FWIW I have just under 8000km on my sled now.

TIA

Check the "pics fo IKE" thread.

There is pics about our -96 XT beeing longtracked.

Ike

Last edited:
If you do the headgasket mod and clutch setup from the techpage, I think you will be OK on power. As far as the rails, I think the full length rails are stronger than the extensions. I have had LOTS of hard tail landings with my 136" Viper (Check with the guys from 2005 TY Ride 2). I think I would have broken rail extensions. Granted, I weigh 290 lbs., and am not afraid to jump it. I think the extensions are MUCH easier to install though. I had to do quite a bit of measuring before relocating my suspension. With the extensions, bolt 'em on , install your new track and tunnel extension, and away you go! Less work, fewer parts required. If you do go with extensions, get the ones that allow you to run full length hyfax. Hope this will help in your decision.
Dave ;)!

P.S.See my avatar for jumping credentials. That is my 97 600 XTC ER launching out to about 125'. Good thing there was 4' of pwder to land in LOL!

Last edited:
We just did this to Derrty_North_Racing's '97 sx this year. The job wasn't too bad. He went 136 with the tunnel extension kit from maxximum performance, and rail extensions from tracksusa. I highly recommend that if you go with rail extensions, you get them from tracksusa because they are a lot heavier than the others, and they have a couple locking features that solidify the mounting to the rails, instead of only relying on the strength of the bolts. If you don't want to piece a whole kit together, i believe tracksusa is having a sale right now on complete 136 set ups, with a track included for a good price.

I like the extensions if you are not worried about tail landings, extensions add more leverage to the rear allowing the suspension to bottom easier. 136 rails the rear swing arm is back further then on the 121s to aid in rear suspension bottoming. The front swing arm is mounted in the same location. It's noticable on the 141 extensions.

Back