New for next season

Heat build up

No, not much weight loss. Punched the holes to reduce heat build up in the clutches. Rolling the chaincase lowers the belt guard, trapping heat in the clutch well. It worked but next time I would not punch holes over the primary. Had to cover the holes over the primary for really deep powder riding. Used an electrician's tool called a Greenlee knockout punch to cut the holes. Cuts a nice clean hole without distortion.

belt failure

I think of it as risk vs reward. Cooler clutches means longer belt life and fewer belt failures and a better running transmission. But your point is well taken. Complete belt failure is a serious risk, capable of initiating catastrophic failure.

I blew a belt on my SRX440 at 10000 RPM ouch, blew the belt cover right off the sled and put major dents in the belly pan, the engine went to about 14000 RPM before i let go the gas, what a roar. I have to beef up that belt cover and find a stronger way to attach it now also.

Good advice

Thats good advice MountainMax. While I have had many belts turn into kevlar and kitty fur, I have never had one explode like you have. This year will be my first experience with nitrous so I probably should pay attention. Thanks.

Back