Chipped up the duramax

Viper Treats

Well I finally chipped up the duramax. Boy is the power nice. Bought the EZ chip from Edge products. It has 3 Hp settings, 30, 50, and 65. I don't think I am quite getting the gasmileage increase they adverstised though. I am running it in the lowest setting right now, but may run it higher when I find out where I can get the best mileage. Maybe the juice chip with 125 Hp is for sometime in the future.

Recently I read an article in a RV magazine about chips and towing with deisel trucks. Every manufacturer's automatic showed up with automatic tranny issues when chipped. Some company is reworking stock trannys to accomodate the added power. While the allison tranny is the strongest of all three, this aftermarket company changes the 5th gear, claiming that is where the weak point is. According to the author of the article, Ford and Dodge 4 speed auto's will eventually fail when chipped and put to work. The aftermarket upgraded tranny for both ford and dodge included extensive changes.

ModMMax said:
Recently I read an article in a RV magazine about chips and towing with deisel trucks. Every manufacturer's automatic showed up with automatic tranny issues when chipped. Some company is reworking stock trannys to accomodate the added power. While the allison tranny is the strongest of all three, this aftermarket company changes the 5th gear, claiming that is where the weak point is. According to the author of the article, Ford and Dodge 4 speed auto's will eventually fail when chipped and put to work. The aftermarket upgraded tranny for both ford and dodge included extensive changes.

Ok, thanks for the info. Performance Diesel in GB, who sold me the chip, told me to tow in setting #1. That is 30 Hp over stock with my chip. I am not towing anything over 7000 lbs, so I shouldn't be overworking the tranny. I will email the chip company, Edge, and ask them about it.

here's a good site to check out for the the duramax. dieselplace.com. lot's of information there. i'm running a predator set on 65 hp with a 4" turbo back exhaust and have had no problems. check it out, ray

I've got the same set up as sxray but with EGT gauges. I've got an '05 (LLY) and the Edge with attitude wouldn't work for me. As for fuel mi. 1-2 actual is about all. I tow in 65hp with no problems, 85hp you gotta watch the long steep grades. You gotta love the power though!!

This is the response from Edge:

Bryan,
I apologize it has taken so long to right back to you. The Allison transmission is a pretty strong transmission. Usually on the automatic transmissions the 4th & 5th gear is the weakest gears, and that is why on the attitude monitor we have on of the features to defuel on 4 & 5. When you put after market products on a stock transmission in which the chip produces a lot of horsepower and torque then it is possible for the transmission to slip are get damaged, but that all depends on the driving habits of the driver. With the fuel economy you might want to drive it for a while and check the mileage by the old fashioned way by using the calculator.
Thanks
Kenny G

I agree with him I need to do check the mileage against the computer. I think I did pick up 1 mpg or maybe a little more. I want to get the 4" exhaust also, but in time.

Absolutely check against the computer! My computer said as high as 8mpg higher when I checked against the calculater. On average it's 4mpg higher. My wife will get 2-3 higher realistically while I get maybe 1-2 but with that much extra power I'm still satisfied. Gallons used is the same way and the speedo is recalibrated dead nuts to my gps. I'm curious Vipertreats, do you have the newer LLY engine? And how the Edge chip works for you? Like I said I had the Edge with Attitude and it worked great for 1300 mi then it kept setting off EGR codes. The diesel shop I work with said it was the first they ever had problems with and Edge couldn't come up with solutions so the had me try the Predator and since than switched many other customers over cause of the same problem.

Last edited:
crs2fer said:
Absolutely check against the computer! My computer said as high as 8mpg higher when I checked against the calculater. On average it's 4mpg higher. My wife will get 2-3 higher realistically while I get maybe 1-2 but with that much extra power I'm still satisfied. Gallons used is the same way and the speedo is recalibrated dead nuts to my gps. I'm curious Vipertreats, do you have the newer LLY engine? And how the Edge chip works for you? Like I said I had the Edge with Attitude and it worked great for 1300 mi then it kept setting off EGR codes. The diesel shop I work with said it was the first they ever had problems with and Edge couldn't come up with solutions so the had me try the Predator and since than switched many other customers over cause of the same problem.

The EZ chip is working well so far. The #3 setting power is great and I normally run it in setting #1, no codes that I know of, did you get a warning light with that code? I would have to have mine scanned if not, because I did not get a warning light.

I have the first LLY, not the newer one. Mine is an 04 1/2. From looking at the computer in setting one I am getting about 1 to 1 1/2 better. I need to check it with a calculator. I can tell my tanks are lasting a little longer. I have not done much towing with it, but last time I hauled my boat in a stiff headwind I only got about 10 mpg at about 70 mph, I don't think that is a fair test. I will be doing more hauling when Salmon season starts over on Michigan. I was getting a combined city/hwy (I have both to work and drive 70 mph on the hwy) of about 17 mpg and it bumped to about 18 1/2 in setting #1. That saves alot of dollars over time. I will check against my computer and let you know.

Why did you need to recalibrate your spedo? Oversize tires? I am still working on that.

No codes or lights, it didn't have anymore power than the stock setting and would hesitate slightly at higher RPMs. I recalibrated cause I went to 265 tires, it was maybe 2mph off and I have that option to calibrate with my programmer.

The dealer told me that some computers are very accurate and some are off? I guess mine is a little off.

you will be fine with the auto to about 120hp my friend has been running the edge attitude with exhaust and filter for over a year with no prob and lots of towing. No my 650hp dodge is different. lol! ;)! The duramaxes run great with a box imo-Dave

when i bought my 2005 F250 powerstroke i was considering a chip for it, that was untill i found out it voided my warrentie.
on the calculator i am getting 18 miles/ us gallon and 21 miles/ imperial galon (highway of course) and i am happy with that. i'm also happy with the power/torque of the stock setup.
putting the petal to the floor and spinning the rear tires off is possible to do with a chip installed, but i really have no need for it. i would rather keep my factory warrentie in tact...piece of mind.

Back