New Trailer Question

Rex

VIP Gold
Here is the scoop, we have bought a new 4 place enclosed trailer and are planning on adding AC power (30A) for heat, lighting and power.

My question is in the lighting, Florescent is the most economical way to go, but florescent tubs do not like cold weather. Does anyone know of a cold weather florescent light or are there other options without breaking the bank or available power supply?

Ps. if you have some options were can you get them?

you need to get cold weather light ballasts, I have them in my garage. You can find them at Home Depot or Menards. Its the fixture thats importain not the bulb.

I've used the electronic low-temp ballasts for years in my enclosed trailers. I use 6- four foot dual bulb fixtures. No problems at all in the cold weather. Get a couple of deep-cycle batteries and an inverter and you're good to go even on the road. It's nice when you arrive at your destination at night and want to un-load. Youi can wire it up to have your tow vehicle charge up your trailer batteries while you're driving ;)!

Ok I went to home depot last night looking for the cold weather ballast. I did not see any that said they were specifically cold weather. Most of the electronic ballast are rated for a minimum start temp of 0* are they the ones you are talking about?

Yamahowie – I am interested in the battery idea do you have any info on how to wire it for the charging would be helpful (do you use a 12 volt charger wired into the trailers power supply?).

Thanks guys!!!

:yam:

sounds like alot of work & expense for a couple of deep cycles?
we set up alot of sled trailers and just put in @ 4 good 12 volt dome lights
the dome lights only work if hooked to the truck! but dont really give great
light for working on things, thats when 120 volt lights shine!

I will see if i can make it over to Menards today, i am wondering if it is one of those seasonal things?

I got my fixtures at Fleet Farm in August last year? But I suppose you don't have a Fleet Farm by you?

I got my fixtures at Fleet Farm in August last year? But I suppose you don't have a Fleet Farm by you?
Did you get the cold weather ones? was it the whole folrescent fixture?

The ones I got were for my shop. They were 8' long and it was just the fixtures, I had to wire them in and buy the bulbs seperatly. They were cold weather high output but I don't remember if they said anything about a 0* minimum startup?

I called Fleet and they said they do not have the 4' in stock yet, the 8' like I've got are rated to start up at -20*. 8' fixtures are $40 and the bulbs are $6.50@. I hope this helps you a little?

Rex... The 4-foot fixtures I used were from an electrical supply house. The ballasts were the -20F electronic ones. They weren't that expensive. I have a 26ft Featherlite 4-place and used 6-fixtures. It really lites it up well. Nice for doing any field repairs as well. Mounted 3 on each side at the top of the side walls. there are no shadows or missed spots in the lighting coverage. May be over-kill but I like it. With 2-optiima deep cycle batteries wired in parrellel the lights last well over 3-hours before the voltage is a problem. I use a 1000 watt inverter to power the lights from the 12v batteries. My Yukon has a trailer package with a 12V hot lead in the harness and I connect that to the batteries through a fuse panel. I use an automatic battery charger while parked at home to keep the batteries topped off. The "Home Depot" lites gave me a wicked hum when using the inverter but the higher quality ballasts are completly quiet. I have been using variations of this set-up for over 15 years and this set-up works great. ;)! ;)! Howie

Thanks Yamahowie ;)!

So the in transit charging of the Bats is done by the tow vehicles charging system?

Where did you get the low temp ballast from the same supply house?

No problem Rex ;)!

Yes to both... the 12V power from the hot lead in the trailer harness will charge your trailer batts just like it charges your vehicle batt. When you ask for your lites ask for low-temp electronic ballasts (good quality) Howie

i have (5) 4 foot flouresent lights in my 18 foot trailer wired in series (not cold weather balasts) we have plug ins in the wiring series also. i use a 3000 watt honda generator for a power supply and for the most part the lights all light up even when it is very cold outside. ocationaly i have one light out of the five that will stay a bit dim till we get the heat on and the trailer warms up. which doesn't take long at all.

Last edited:

Back