79 Srx

vmax3

I just purchased a 79 SRX in fair condition. Can anyone help me with a few specs? I am curios what the stock hp, clutch and geearing might be. And also hat a good set up would be for racing 500-600 feet.

Thanks

Srx

As soon as the rain stops I will send a couple pics. If all the rain we have had in Maine recnetly fell as snow, we would up to our ears in snow.

MrSled said:
I would like to see it, can you post some pics??

VMAX3 , 1979 SRX WAS FAVORITE SRX. I REMEBER WHN I BOUGHT MINE BRAND NEW. HOW ABOUT $2399 !! ANYWAYS HORSEPOWER WAS 80, GEARING WAS 18-29 AND MOST SWITCHED YAMAHA CLUTCH TO A COMET. !! 3:16 (tony)

Srx

Well, after gettig a closer look tonight at the SRX I am going to need more parts than I thought. When I get my list together, I will be asking around.

Yammie God I do have the luck of having a Comet 108c clutch, on this sled

Gearing

Yammie,

I looked at my gears today, and they are 15 tooth top and 31 tooth bottom. I wondewr if it is at all stock or even a good combination.

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
VMAX3 , 1979 SRX WAS FAVORITE SRX. I REMEBER WHN I BOUGHT MINE BRAND NEW. HOW ABOUT $2399 !! ANYWAYS HORSEPOWER WAS 80, GEARING WAS 18-29 AND MOST SWITCHED YAMAHA CLUTCH TO A COMET. !! 3:16 (tony)

VMAX3, THAT GEARING BEEN CHANGED. THAT 15 TOOTH WOULD DO NOTHING FOR YA. BOTTOM ALSO BEEN CHANGES BUT A 31 BOTTOM ACTUALY WORKED GREAT WITH A 17 TOP !!!!!!! 3:16 (tony)

Formula

I would like to know a good gearing and clutching formula for racing 600' and 1000' feet.

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
VMAX3, THAT GEARING BEEN CHANGED. THAT 15 TOOTH WOULD DO NOTHING FOR YA. BOTTOM ALSO BEEN CHANGES BUT A 31 BOTTOM ACTUALY WORKED GREAT WITH A 17 TOP !!!!!!! 3:16 (tony)

raise your engagement to atleast 5000 rpm, or higher.
18/35 or 18/34 will help out for gears.
the comet 108c is basicly the same as the 102c with the 108 having a slightly heavier cover i believe. the internal parts (springs/weights/rollers/pins/bushings) are compatible with each other.

17/ 31 WORKED GREAT IN A 79 SRX UP TO 1000 F.T. !! CLUTCHING IS GONNA DEPEND ON WHAT PIPES YOU SETTLE ON AND WHAT RPM YOU RUN MOTOR AT. YOU MUST START ATLEAST A 5000 ENGAGEMENT OR FORGET IT. YOU WILL HAVE A BOG OR LAG UNDER THAT YOU WON,T GET RID OF. !! 3:16 (tony)

Back