questions on the sx r 500

yamiman

whats top speed in stock form, what kind of mpg, reliability? i bought this from a friend who raced it one season, has 450 miles for $1200 dollars. great deal i was going to buy a viper again, just want to know if there is any hop up you can do to this thing, right now how he has it set up it goes about 75 mph but pulls very hard all the way up. any info is helpful, thanks.

sxr500

i can answer some of your questions i think as i own/drive the same sled. :yam:

mine is a 01. i never look at the dream meter when doin wot runs. we used gps to get highest sustained top speed. 2 years ago when i bought the sled new after breakin i was gettin 80mph on wot runs across lake with factory settings mid season. last season after puttin on ripsaw i was sitll getting 80mph out of it with stock clutching.

fuel milage wise..........its not a viper. i am getting close to 200 kilometrs on a tank of gas but fuel milage is very dependant on the abuse you dish out with your right thumb.

mods.
for the chassis there are lots as you know. for the motor pretty much all i have found is porting, reed notch and pipes. there used to be a 700cc bigbore kit for these motors but i never followed up on that. the head gasket mod or thinner one is for the older ones. on mine it was not reccomended. if you are trail runnin, pipes bad as they are a lot more finiky on the twins as compared to the tripples. im still tryin to get the parts to do vmaxjhons clutch setup from the tec pages as my clutching with the ripsaw is leaving something to be desired and still could have improved performance with stock track. there are cans availible for it but i find the mbrp i bought a little too pingy and loud for long trail riding although the weight loss is great in the powder.

pm me if you need more info or post it in this thread

I clutched my buddies sxr 500 it pulled real hard to a 105 on the speedo.It also had boyseen reeds.

you musta had a smooth surface. every time i go to test mine the clowns have been out earlier and torn up all the smooth spots or there is no hard pack to try it out on.

yes crusty head lake it was ideal coditions otherwise consistantly 100-102mph

they seem like a good little sled. not a ton of power, but a nice little sled that is lightweight. I loved my 600 sx twin, and they are the same weight :)

the weight is why i like that little bugger. im not as tired after tossin it around in the trils all day like i am when i borrow my brothers viper. it just really needs a clutch kit/clutching done for the ripsaw. if i wanna make the viper squeak for fuel milage i haul out betsy (enticer II) and go for a run with him. when betsy runs out the viper is usually on the last few bars on the fuel gage but is always at the back of the pack.

id fall in love with yammys all over again if they came out with a 400-500 cc sled in the old pogo style chassis with 12-14" of rear travel. bet it climb a hill pretty good :yam:

Maim said:
the weight is why i like that little bugger. im not as tired after tossin it around in the trils all day like i am when i borrow my brothers viper. it just really needs a clutch kit/clutching done for the ripsaw. if i wanna make the viper squeak for fuel milage i haul out betsy (enticer II) and go for a run with him. when betsy runs out the viper is usually on the last few bars on the fuel gage but is always at the back of the pack.

id fall in love with yammys all over again if they came out with a 400-500 cc sled in the old pogo style chassis with 12-14" of rear travel. bet it climb a hill pretty good :yam:

ask yamaha for a 2-stroke? kinda a waste of breath in this day and age

want a 2 stroke? kinda of waste of energy this day and age ;) I LOVE my dads vector, and the new apex I rode was SWEET

Had a 01 V-max 500 Deluxe for a few years, electric start and reverse. Put thin head gasket and a Bender can on it, sounded awsome. Sled was bullet proof. Jetted down 1-size. Ran 96 on the dream meter and side by side with a 500 SXR in our group. Not the greatest on gas, Viper easily better by far. ;)!

I have one of those too. You just gotta love that sled. It responds well to simple mods, gets real snappy but if you're looking for the 100mph mark you need a bigger motor, and don't wreck it buy trying to big bore it. 10 off the head, massage the pistons, and give it 360 degree intake timing, the thing is a gas in the woods. You can put some reeds in it, but it doesn't make that much difference, notching the reed stop does nothing on a cylinder reed engine.
As far as clutching, if you throw a 48-40 in the back and a couple shims in the front it gets good, there's numerous combinations that work well in it. I ended up with stock Viper weights in mine with a roller secondary. It needs to run at 7800, no more or it falls on its head.
On really good hard pack lake conditions that little bastard will always run in the mid 90's, then we tried to make it go fast and can consistently run 99 and change, saw 99.7. So then the mission was 3 digits, put twin pipes on it, clutched it, geared it, no faster, thats all there is.
If you decide you don't want it let me know.....

I tried everything that day, we went further, with the wind, jacked the suspension around, it just said NO! ain't doing it it.

that's always a piss off

I once lost during warm up to another sled in my class (on my 500) by 0.005 seconds, thought "shat, I need a LITTLE bit more", tried a few little things to get just a hair more for that race (lubed the slides, drained abit of chaincase oil, I'm sure there was more, but it's not coming to me"

anyways, sled ran exactly the same time, he was abit fast, but I got him abit at the tree, lost by 0.001

i ride mostly with my brother who has 2002 viper.

my sxr500 will be almost out of gas on a crusin ride with small lake sprints and he will have almost 1/4 tank left.

and heck ya i miss pogo stance and handling.

Back