Head Gasket on a SX500R - 2001

the 01 sxr500 already has a tight tolerance with the stock head gasket as i have been told by other site members. its a good one to leave stock unless you wanna run race fuel or sumthin.

i think that gasket was for the older 500 twins in the v-max chassis with the pogos. some one correct me if im wrong pls. ;)!

When I put Wiseco pistons in my 600 twin the kit came with new head gaskets. They were like you say, 1/3 the thickness. But ...... the sled ran great. I recommend this on the twin motors. Play with the clutching and you will be happy.

Ok, i think i got Wiseco pistons on my sxr 500 too, then if i got Wiseco pistons, it will work just fine if i put om my new head gasket?

Ive checked my motor, and its not wiseco pistons on it.. :o| Anyone here that has thin head gasket on sx500r?

DO NOT put a thin gasket on the newer 500's unless you are running race gas, or if you're doing piston durability testing for yamaha. They are already tight from the factory, you are just asking for burndown if you thin it more. Its not a TWIN trait to have low compression, its a 600 yamaha twin trait (more notably the non-95's)

Ok, thanks! ;)! then i just keep it orginal.. i think i should get a 700-tripple to put in my sx500r, i think it will fit? because its the same chassie as sx700r..
ill maybe need to change the bulkhead, or what do you think?

I just purchase today a 1999 sx 600 looking for tech tips horsepower and info do you know any web pages where I may find something

Thanks

sxtheviper said:
Ok, thanks! ;)! then i just keep it orginal.. i think i should get a 700-tripple to put in my sx500r, i think it will fit? because its the same chassie as sx700r..
ill maybe need to change the bulkhead, or what do you think?

yes it would fit. i know someone did it here with a sx600 twin to tripple. so do a search and it should pop up. i think it was mook that did it but i could be wrong.

Yeah, i hope it will fit. My cooling system is just like a sx700r's, so i think it just to put it inside.. ill should search and look for that sx600

Hummm, ive been thinking about the head gasket and it has been thin head gasket on it before, i think it has been there for over 1 year.. and it work fine! no problems, and the plugs got a fine color on 98oct.. what do you think?

Now i have been asking some people and they said that it will work fine with thin head gasket on a new 500, but they recommended to run om 98-octan, check plugs and read pistons.. ive been riding with thin gasket (2/3 of the orginal) for over 1 year with no problems, thats why i wonder why its not gonna work..

is it not the same motor as on the 98's 500?

Check out the member's clutch set up section! I helped a couple guys with your sled figure our a very nice trail set up, aggressive and would hold the rpms down, move the sled along nicely.

I was testing my comp. on my engine now, and one side was 7.84 bar and the other side was 8.05 bar.. is that ok?

Back