Will this air box mod work on my twin (sxr500)?

Well it should you might have to find out how to jet but this is what I did! I never saw that post before! I used SS nipples with bushings on top & I can plug with SS plugs!

Attachments

• sled 2 012.jpg
    sled 2 012.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 16
I tried it once and it was more trouble than what its worth. there realy arent that many motor mods you can do to the 97-0? 500's. Have you notched the reed cages yet or dropped the mains down a size, those would help, the rest lies in clutching, you can do alot more with clutching than you can with motor mods on the newer 500's. in my opinion anyways

notching the reed stop only benefits case reed 3 cyls. Not cyl reed twins. The reed stop is in the way of the boost port on the triples, thats why you cut it. It's not in the way of anything on the twins.

Modifying the piston and adding extra intake ports really make the 500 snappy, also take .010 off the head, thats about it.

It was discovered about two years ago that it will also benifit the twins.
This is taken straight from the tech pages:

"This Modifications can be done on the 97 & Up SX700 & 600 Triple Style Motors and the 97 & Up 500 & 600 Twin Style Motors non Power Valved.

as far as how to do it look at the instructions where you found those pics. You only notch one half of the reed cage, I believe the top half, but dont take my word for it, get a second opinion on what half it is you notch before you do it.

I did this to my '98 600. The top stopper is the one to cut. It's pretty hard to see, but there is a port that runs straight up the back side of the cylinder. That's the one that is slightly blocked by the stopper.
It's actually an easy job.

Thats why they tell you to do only one stop. If you put the reed in the case on a triple you'll see it just about blocks the boost port, on a twin it is not. Thats why they make spacers for triples kinda does the same thing but reduces crankcase pressure.

I realize what the tech pages say regarding this topic. My statement is based on dyno testing we did in 97' when the sleds came out.hy

800 said:
Thats why they tell you to do only one stop. If you put the reed in the case on a triple you'll see it just about blocks the boost port, on a twin it is not. Thats why they make spacers for triples kinda does the same thing but reduces crankcase pressure.

I realize what the tech pages say regarding this topic. My statement is based on dyno testing we did in 97' when the sleds came out.hy

Yea i agree i always thought that the boost isn't blocked on the twins.

Back