Phazer VS 500XTC

nailsandrails

VIP Member
Anyone know the HP on each of thses sleds? 00 Phazer and a 98 500XTC. How do you think they would run against each other? Both stock. I am thinking maybe the XTC would be a little faster. If I put a pipe on the Phazer I think it would be faster.

The 500 xtc would smoket he phazer because the xtc is a liquid cooled sled. Plus I owned a 01 phazer 500 and my buddy had a 98xtc and he smoked me.. the 98 xtc's were just as fast as the 2000 sx600r's

The phazer is a 485 fan. the XTC is a 500 liquid...BUT it has electric start and reverse.. So the Phazer is lighter, but I still think it would be slower without a pipe. A pipe really wakes them up and I think by adding a pipe it would be faster than the liquid. I'd pretty sure the phazer is about 60HP stock, but I don't know about the 500.

I think it would be a close race. The Phazer was about 65 hp, the 500 XTC was about 80 hp, but the Phazer is a lighter. I think one comes down more to rider weight and rider ability (reaction time, ect) than it does engine power.
Cap'n

The xtc has 87 hp and the phazer has about 60, if you pipe the phazer you supposedly get like 70+ hp. A clutched xtc should smoke it if you ask me. However, I remember a 500 touring fan/ liquid test in a scandinavian snowmobile magazine where they "hillclimbed/hillraced" a venture xl vs a venture 500, where the xl beat the 500 for the first 500 feet. I think the clutching was kind of off on the 500, but still. They felt that the xl had more low end power than the 500. It's also worth to note how strong the xl is, it is still made you know. It has always won the 500/550 fan touring tests in the performance aspect according to the scandinavina "snowmobile" magazine. But again, take a xtc 500 with vmaxjohn?s clutching and it should really smoke the phazer

All depends on the setup, conditions, and the track. The Phazers can be amazingly quick in shorter distances, as some of the well known Tuners from yesteryear learned real well.

They both have 1" tracks. The XTC is clutched per the suggestions on the tech pages. The Phazer is stock right now. Anyone know a clutch set-up for a phazer with a pipe? I plan to put a pipe on it before winter. It'll be fun to see how they run against each other. It's just hard to find information from anyone on the Phazer.. Maybe as the season gets closer..

Oh, if we could only get to see the notes of Tim Bender, and Olav Aaen . . .

You can call Olav, he'll give you a set up over the phone! Nice guy.

The 500 liquids came with super wussy clutching, and the phazers were quite a bit more agressive down low, but the liquid set up would top end a PHazer by lightyears! My vmax500 would run over 100 on the speedo when it was stock, after I got the clutching how I liked it, it would go 0-80 much much faster, and still hit 103 on the speedo.

I did race a piped and ported phazer when mine was stock, and he hung with me till about 50mph, then he started to run out of steam! They're a great sled though.

VMJ,
Do you have a set-up that would be better than the tech pages...47/41 helix, 8-ab weights with a 0.8 gram rivet in tip & pivot empty. Gear down 1 tooth & drop mains 1/2 a size. Unfortunately I have SRX guages on it and the tach doesn't read right.. SO I couldn't fine tune the weights.
I did that last year and it helped quite a bit. Always looking for more :)

Which sled are you talking about, the phazer or xtc?

That's my set up by the way, and there's alot of performance in the fine tuning...I'd swap out the tach, or have it calibrated, and get to it! You could also put in a small aftermarket tach.

VMJ,
I am talking about the XTC. I know I need to get a tach on it. I haven't figured out what I need to change to get the SRX tach to read right. You mentioned calibrating. Is this something the dealer could do?

Back