Independant?

benderxtc700

I have all my shocks out of my sled (sending them to maxxperf) I was just fiddleing around and noticed that if you lift one trailing the other goes up as well. not sure what the actual name is but I think you'll understand ..there is a bar from one trailing arm to the other...torsion bar/sway bar or what have you. My question is would there be any benefit in removing this bar to make the trailing arms move independently? Has anybody tried this?

that is the sway bar
design to keep sled level while cornering
lots of mountain riders ( like my self included ) unhook this to tip the sled up on its side better when side hilling etc.
you should be able to just unhook one side if you want to try it BUT if you trail ride & corner hard I think you want to keep it hooked up

yes, that was the problem with early long travel suspensions, they didn't use sway bars on the first few models (polaris) and they had a lot of problems with diving and body roll. The sway bar does A LOT in keeping you flat through the corners, and stable over bumps that you don't hit head on with both skis.

ahhh I see...they probably work more independently with the shocks in place ...its just real easy to lift with no weight on the skis.

Thanks

You can soften the front up and make them independent by simply removing the dogbone on one side. This can help you get through a really rough section. Be careful though as it will pitch and roll a lot more than it used to as yamaholic22 says. It will however soak up more of the big bumps without transfering the hit to both sides. I do this when the bumps get too big to pound (3 - 5 footers), just be ready for funny bounces, and less cornering ability.

Back