The easy parts done

Vmax535

Thanks , you have answered a lot of questions I was wondering about . the autolube system is no longer in my sled . been running 50:1 I've questioned this as my manual shows 17.07:1 at W.F.O . I've also read that premixing will lean the system as your running fuel and oil thru the jets . feel free to share any more info you have .
also will the crank have a different # on it if it's been replace ?

81 Srx

Put more oil to it like I suggested. You can always adjust main jet if need be. Using premix with a oil pump will lean you out abit since you have 2 oil sources. But just using premix will not since the motor is designed to run at 20:1 fuel/oil ratio at full throddle. The original 440 crank case will have 8M6 cast into the top section of the cranks cases where they join to the bottom 1/2 on the carb side. Also the connectiong rods will be a course bronzey color. I think the 82 crank had polished rods (silver Colored) like the 540 have. (Not 100% sure on the 82 rods) Also the CDI will be aprox. 4X3X1 the original 81 CDI is half the size.

Good Luck

VMAX535

8m600 on the cases and the rods are brownish the cdi is about 3x3x1.5 fits right in the original rubber holder so I'd assume its an 81 cdi , I'll mix at 20:1 and see how it goes hopefully it will stay together this year . might split the cases tomorrow and install the crank seals

Premixing will lean your mixture, however.....Yamaha has traditionally injected the oil into the fuel line before the carbs, so premixing 50:1 in the tank (with a good oil) shouldn't lean your mixture any more than it was with the autolube. I think I'd lean towards 40:1 or pick up a newer Exciter oil pump off ebay if I were you.

Both my 87 Exciter and my 2001 SXR600 are plumbed the same. The Exciter had a double "T" in the fuel line before the fuel pump where the two oil pump lines were connected and my SXR has a seperate input on the fuel pump. Poolaris injected the oil into the engine intake after the carb, which did not affect the jetting.

Exciterfan

exciterfan

Do you happen to have a manual for your exciter ? if so what does it list for the mix ratio at WFO mine lists 17.01:1 for the 81 srx . I am using amsoil and premixing as the autolube system is no longer in the sled .
thanks
Kevin

Exciter Oil Pumps will Not Fit!!!!

Guy's,

81 SRX's were injected directly into the rubber intake bootty baby. Since this is not an issue as you are mixing your gas and oil. These motors liked lots of oil!!!! (20:to 25: - 1) It actually helps keep the compression up since Yamaha uses single dyke rings on the pistons. It will wet seal itself. Aftermarket piston are cheaper and should be avoided!!!!!

/Dan

Oil

Use Yamaha Lube, Castrol or other similar oil at 20-25:1 not synthetic. This will help wet seal the motor and increase compression with stock chrome cylinders.

/Dan

Vmax535

would the same hold true with chrome rings and an iron bore ? my jugs are resleeved to 68.5mm . I'm going with chrome rings this time because the last time it went down the pistons were fine but the rings were shot . I feel there is too much friction with the iron rings and iron bore at high rpm
will definitly try the 20/25:1 mix ratio . cant be any worse than it was befor
just a little more smoke .
Kevin

Vmax535

Thanks for your help I'll give it a try . was in Vermont all week so sorry it took so long to respond to your post
Kevin

Kevin,
How's the sled wrentching going????

I've attached pic. of my 540cc no digital pic's of my 81 I'll scan some and post.

/Dan

Attachments

• VMAX 540r1.jpg
    VMAX 540r1.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ProAction Ripsaw1.jpg
    ProAction Ripsaw1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 30
Dan
pretty slow right now waiting for paint and my seat cover been in Vermont working only get home a couple days every 2 weeks . have to order my rings so they are there when I get home next time then I'll get the motor back in
vmax looks great cant wait to see your 81
Kevin

wow, a great setup on that sled. had a 96, biggest complaint was no traction, followed by GAS HOG! lol, sweet ride

Kevin,
Awesome job, Tunnel looks great ! Love to see more as it progresses ! The Exciter II used the same original Pro-Action rear as the Vmax540 so, just how did you get 2 " more travel ? I'm in the process of taking a 90 Exciter out to 41" ski stance and adding the struts/holders and knuckles from a 96 Vmax 600 which has 21/2" longer travel. With the Exciter being considerably lighter than the 94-96 Vmax's I believe this will enable the T.S.S. to work even better ? Guess time will tell ? I've dropped the rear of rear suspension down to compensate for the higher front.

SRXfromHELL said:
6" wide kit in front , modified an exciter II skid got 2" extra travel just now almost 9" total in the rear .
now to clean polish and paint new pistons and rings polish some more
too much fun

Chuck

relocated the upper rear shock mount in front of the shaft at the same angle it was behind the shaft , moved the lower arm mount to the front hole to keep the geometry of the sissor at the correct angle and redrilled the limiter strap to compensate for the extra travel .

Interesting The ExciterII, Vmax4, and the 94-96 Vmax 5 & 600cc sleds used the Pro-action but, it had ~2" more travel and I would love to see one of their rear suspensions side by side to the Vmax 540's !

more polishing

just got home from vermont tonight I'll get the pics of my skid tomorrow for you guys if I can get the old girl to roll over . Till then check out my JUGS ! LOL and cases, head, etc. dont think I'll try that again for a while hurt my dremel pretty bad

Attachments

• Jan12393.JPG
    Jan12393.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Jan12394.JPG
    Jan12394.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Jan12390.JPG
    Jan12390.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Jan12399.JPG
    Jan12399.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Jan12396.JPG
    Jan12396.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 8
wow, nice work! I love it when people hav e agood sense of "doing the details" it's what makes a sled go from average to extrordinary! great work, cant wait to see the whole thing completed!

Back