Can Viper Shocks be used on front of SX

MonctonR1

Website
www.gixxer.20m.com
Father-in-law has a set of Viper shocks from when they upgraded his Viper shocks... Is that something that I can bolt into my current SX chassis...

Will be trying to pick up some Viper rear's to match them to it.

Tks,

shock info

I have a set of Viper fronts for my 1997 SX 700. I have not installed them yet, but I thought that I would need the Viper bushings to install into the SX because of the difference between the upper shock mounts ( Clevis for viper Vs. the eye type for the SX ) Can anyone help us out?

Thank you,
Dusty Ganey

if yours has the eyelet style shock, like on the 97 700 sx, you take that braket off of the chasis, and you can bolt these on direct. Really if it where me I'd replace the top all aluminum bushing with the rubber one. But thats just me. maxdlx

Thanks Maxdlx--More questions

maxdlx said:
if yours has the eyelet style shock, like on the 97 700 sx, you take that braket off of the chasis, and you can bolt these on direct. Really if it where me I'd replace the top all aluminum bushing with the rubber one. But thats just me. maxdlx

So the Viper shock with the Clevis ( open U-shaped ) mount bolts directly to the chasis after the drop-down bracket is removed--excellent. What part do I ask for to get the rubber bushing?

Thank you,
Dusty Ganey

Call Rich at richmotorsports or Kevin at port Yamaha i am sure they both know the part. I will look at the fische tonight and get a part # if I can. Maxdlx

To get the full affaect of the long travel you will need the rad rods. If you just bolt them on you will basically have the same travel, just the shocks will be prloaded some. I measured it when I did mine, and thats what I found. maxdlx

Info request

maxdlx said:
To get the full affaect of the long travel you will need the rad rods. If you just bolt them on you will basically have the same travel, just the shocks will be prloaded some. I measured it when I did mine, and thats what I found. maxdlx

Did you use the existing Radius rods? If so, how was it?

Thank you,
Dusty Ganey

In my honest opinion. Run the viper shocks with stock rods, or get the brakets to raise your front end, and run stock shocks. I didn't notice any difference in handling or ride either way. I went back to the shorty's and adj front shock brakets. It actually is the only way to get more front end clearence. Maxdlx

Front shock brackets

maxdlx said:
In my honest opinion. Run the viper shocks with stock rods, or get the brakets to raise your front end, and run stock shocks. I didn't notice any difference in handling or ride either way. I went back to the shorty's and adj front shock brakets. It actually is the only way to get more front end clearence. Maxdlx

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO.
WHERE CAN I GET THE ADJUSTABLE FRONT SHOCK BRACKETS? I HAVE NOT SEEN THEM! PLEASE LET ME KNOW, THEN i HAVE BOTH OPTIONS TO TRY.

THANK YOU,
DUSTY GANEY

hauck hasthe adj front shock brakets. Maxdlx ps make sure if you get them you get the sx not srx.

I did this on my SX chassis. Take the upper shock bracket off of the bulkhead and bolt the viper shocks through the hole in the bulkhead. You will need to get the bushings that go in the bulkhead itself or make some out of delrin (plastic). The viper upgrade to an SX is awesome!

If you change out the bushings you will need a press.

What I would do is change your bulkhead with a new style, buy aluminum long travel rods, olin long travel shocks all around ;)! jk, cus I cant even afford that!

Really, if you just find some long travel rods you would be pretty well set to go.

Back