99 sx600 yes or no??

zakstang

assuming it was in good shape, what do you guys/gals think of the 99 sx600 sleds??? im a yamaha nut and have never owned anything else but ive never owned one of their sleds...looking for some opinions from those that have had or have one now....any problems/concerns etc etc....thx zak :yam:

Yamaha sleds are well engineered. I found them easier to work on than the Polaris(s) I've owned. I put 10,000 K on my 87 Exciter before I had to pull the motor apart. The motors are solid.

The only negative I might consider bringing up is that the suspensions tend to be valved a little hard (lake racing!!!). This can be easily overcome with some shock revalving. Once you do that you'll be set.

The triples are great on fuel too. Not so sure about the twins.

Cheers,

Exciterfan (now on a 01SXR600)

I like the 99 SX's alot. Last year of the short travel suspensions, so they corner AWESOME, the 99's have the big gauges instead of the old style junk, they are fairly light, and are easy to mod up. Great trail sled, and can be made very quick as well.

I got a 98 600 twin and i love the sled to death!! its very light quick (if set up right) and very nice running... the only downside is that junk suspension... if you really want a sled that sounds awesome too find a silencer for it they sound soooo tight with one of them on... i recommend this sled 100% :rockon:

I have a 01 sx600r. It has plenty of power, cheaper on insurance than a 700cc on up. Make sure you tell your insurance company its a 598 c.c. or whatever it is.

Also, if it doesnt have the long travel you might want to update that sometime. But all and all if this is your first sled it would be excellent.

Lots of great guys on this site that if you need help working on it or even finding parts that have wear and tear you will find them! ;)!

I've got a 99 sx600 and I love it! Great little motor. Very easy too mod up a bit. Mine now is a 700 with a 136" track, long travel rear shocks, ohlins front shocks , viper seat and the list still keeps going!

like I said about 10 minutes ago in another thread, listen to yamaholic :) the dude speaks the truth! I like the 99's for all the same reasons he stated. all it is missing is the dual bulb headlight to make it a PERFECT trail sled :)

thx much....ive never had a problem with any yami ive ever owned and its nice to hear they r the same with their sleds

ekimsx do you got a pic of your sled? i wanna see the sx with a viper seat i was thinking bout gettin one how much are they?

they sx platform from 97-99 was the best damn trail performance sled made.A corner carving demon in either class 600 or 700,but i would say the 99sx700 would be my choice throw some ohlins on the front and stud the track,transfer rods and you will have a very well mannered trail sled at any speed....all the other add ons are iceing on the cake. ;)!

I have the sled you are asking about and love it.

Use the aggressive trail clutch setup from Turk on the tech page,

Drop one tooth on the top gear, drill the silencer out and take one layer out of the head gaskets.

I updated my chassis with revalved/rebuilt Viper shocks last year and love it. I didn’t lose the slot car handling but gained a whole lot of comfort.

I would recommend this sled anytime.

’00-‘02’s are nice as well but already have the longer travel.

VMaxSX

Call Bruce at B-line control in Lindstrom MN (sorry I don’t have his # in front of me right now) to get an idea of what it would take and cost to have your shocks long traveled, rebuild and revavled. He is a former Yami sno-cross shock tech who really knows is stuff. I had him rebuild and revalve some Viper shocks for me last year that went into my ’99 SX 600. I couldn’t be happier with the results. I am pretty sure he can long travel your current shocks or has shocks available to build-up for you.
Mills

P.S. do a search on T.Y. for B-Line Control, I have posted his ph # before so I am sure you could find it that way

Zak, Plain and simple, you will not be disappointed. I purchased mine new in the summer of 2000 and it has never missed a beat. I did long travel the sled all around with viper shocks. Love the added travel, but miss the handling of the old shocks. Not sure if it was worth the upgrade as the sled is much more tippy in the corners. I enjoyed the slot car like cornering capabilities the short travel offered. Unfortunately, I sold the old shocks, OOPS. I've since added a ripsaw and reclutched, but other than that everything remains stock. Lots of excellent information on this site regarding the triple cylinder/single pipe sleds. Enjoy.

YS

Back