Hacksaw track and drive belt questions

Bigger Hammer

Hey all,

I am thinking of putting a hacksaw track on my '97 XTC 500. Anyone have any experience with this track? How about with studs (144)? Sled is basically stock except the primary clutch has been redone, and plastic skis installed.

Ever since I installed the clutch kit, I have noticed that the belt tends to slip some upon clutch engagement if I have the skis on a hill, back of trailer, etc. Should I upgrade to a different belt, such as a LeMans Supreme Drive Belt? The belt I am using is basically a stock belt, and appears to be in good shape. I am currently running a 1” paddle track, unstudded.

Oh, and while I am asking questions, what about reeds. I was told that stock Yamaha reeds are pretty good, and upgrading them wouldn't make much of a differance, you all agree?

Hard to give feedbakc on that trach as it is brand new in the 15 wide.
They had then on the 13 wide Arctic Cats and got great reviews.
As for the belt slipping I would not use anything but the stock belt or the new Ultimax belts. Check your clutch alignments and belt it should not slip.
As for reeds unless you plan on piping or other higher HP mods the stock reeds are the best bet. You will only spend money for nothing on reeds unless you have engine mods.

Back