96 VMAX 600 XT Mods?

Mudrunner

Hey guys-

I just ended up with a vmax 600 xt and would like to make the most of it for a loaner sled in the hills. I really don't want to dump much money into it, but love to do some wrenchin and tweakin.

What can be done to this sled to help it rip. Any of the mods in the tech section apply to the vmax twin 600?

Clutching? Carb work? Airbox, Silencer boring etc...

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

AJ

We ride at 3500' to 7500' around 30 degrees.

there used to be gyt twin pipe kits that made some power, though I think they were finicky. not positive though

OK, I have to ask, What is the head gasket mod? I have a 96 VMAX as well. Only 2nd season owning sleds.

what are you using for a big bore? I have heard of people using the 700 wildcat jugs on yamaha twins. not sure details though

yikes...arctic cat parts on a yamaha, sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially when we are talking engine related parts lol :Moon:

lol! holic, I think it was a guy on here actually. he had a sxr 500 I think, and had a dyno with cat jugs and it made a lot of tq! lot a power in general :) but I hear ya.

Bender sells the thinner head gasket. Some guys take layers off the original one but I don't much about that.
http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13719&highlight=head+gasket

Comp.up kit part # 90891-50131 , includes-head gasket, jets, clutch springs,and weight rivets.
I think it was less than 100 dollars.
If ya do the head gasket, jack the front of the sled up as far as you can. This will keep most of the fluid in. It took maybe an hour at the most.

Last edited:
wanasrx said:
Comp.up kit part # 90891-50131 , includes-head gasket, jets, clutch springs,and weight rivets.
Having enjoyed one of those models myself, I'd do the above and call it good.

Naturally, I didn't and kept going with GYT pipes, Aaen roller and what not all until I "improved" it until it didn't work anymore. Sure, it did some things really great but I lost the overall trail performance I had come to know and love not to mention my fuel mileage dropping to 7-8 mpg.

Ah yes, those were the daze..... :o|

So it sounds to me the consensus is to peel a layer from the head gasket and clutch and jet for altitude. Sounds pretty easy. Do you guys think the gasket mod is worth doing enough to commit to premium fuel?

What kind of gains will I see from that alone?

AJ

03viperguy said:
the pipes and roller werent any good?
The roller was fine but not worth the money I paid at the time. I did like the quick adjustability to help compensate when I didn't have the time, energy or desire to change the jets to make the pipes work right.

I had tried both Aaen and GYT pipes and both were finicky to temp changes. The Aaens broke during a particularly hard ride after a spring broke and the pipes kept smacking into each other until one simply broke in half. I also broke the W arm during that ride so it wasn't one of my better adventures.

The GYT pipes fit up real nice but still liked to have proper jetting for temperature. If I were to do this project today, a Holtzman Tempa-Flow would be mandatory.

The fuel mileage or lack of it with the 10 gallon tank finally motivated me to trade for a then new XTC 700 triple that I kept "relatively" stock for a few years.

Not having learned my lesson with the '96, I then got a SXr all ported, polished, piped, clutched, bla-bla-bla and carried half of my tool chest along with me on rides. Got 8 mpg with that sled but the 12 gallon tank kept me from getting towed to the gas station as much as the '96.

Switched to the RX1 in '03 and stopped carrying tools. Never mind that it was like ridnig a portable "Bow-Flex" to get it through the tight and twisties, I didn't have to work on it all the time.

Got a Rage last year and other than a 0 mph rollover incident off a snow bank that Viper Dave will be more than happy to describe in gory detail, I really liked the machine.

Right up until Mr. Sled invited me to ride the '06 machines last February where I became hopelessly hooked on the Apex.

I'm picking up my new GT tomorrow. :rockon:

600 mod's

I used a 95 600 head gasket, clutch and jet kit from Maxx Perf. BIG DIFFERENCE in power and it made the fuel economy better.
Stay away from the twin pipes. too finicky.
Adjustable transfer rods will help keep the track from spinning and get the ski up. It jumps SOOOO much better too.

P.S I run 87/89 fuel all day long. 6500+ miles on this set up.

Back