2001 SXR 700 Burbles

Double J

Just picked up 01 sxr 700.Started up when I got it home. Idles fine but when I give it throttle while on track stand, it breaks up big time,will not accelerate at all. Also noticed that tach and gas gauge not working. Tried new set of plugs-things now ok for a while-go back to try it again and problem is back. Any ideas?

sound like an electrical problem,check the wiring harness for rub throws and bare wires.
it could be the T.O.R.S. bye pass it for now and see if it is part of the problem.But being your tech and gas guage aren't working i would start by tracing wires.

I just had the same problem with mine. Turned out to be a bad stator. Do you have a multimeter? If so, on the same side as the exhaust, you will see a rectangle connector and a triangle connector. (It will be kinda by the carb) unplug them and do the following checks. You want to check the end that goes into the motor.
Find the white/red and the white/green in the rectangle connector and check the resistance between those two. should be 189-231 ohms
In the triangle connector find the brown to black/red and check between them. Should be 392-479 ohms
Then go from the brown/red in the triangle connector to the black in the rectangle connector. Should be 93-113 ohms (This is the one that was bad on mine)
Good luck!

check the wiring harness that goes under the motor. That is about the easiest place to start. You may find wire that are exposed.

Yup, ...intermittent, ...sounds like a chaffed wiring harness, ...when it happens again try lifting up the harness to see if your problem goes away (easy check). Still could be an electrical component but sound like either a loose or shorting wire.

does it get up to around 4500 rpms and then just die almost like only one cylinder is running? if so ur throtle position sensor is shot u can fix it real easy buy taking the 2 plugs that come from the computer to the carbs and unpluging them and then jacking then together had to do it on both my sled when i cracker the throtel assembly on the bars and its like 90 bucks for a new one so i just jumped the sensor and it fixd it but u wont have that safety if ur throttle ever sticks

i kinda have the same problem. but a little different. its a 2000 venture 500 it runs great no problem. but the oil light flickers, and the tach dosent work untill the R's are above 3500. the fuel gauge works just fine also. once the r's get below it just drops completly. tomarrow i was going to take the tach and plug it into one of my other sleds to see if its bad. but i was just wondering untill i do it.

terret725 u must mean the TORS switch, im not sure if the sxr has a tps on it,and if it did by unpluging it well that would make more timing problems

the SXR's never had throttle position sensors, he was referring to the TORS switch. If the TORS is causing a problem it is almost always because the throttle cable is adjusted too tight, not because the switch is bad. Try loosening the throttle cable some. You want it just tight enough so that it pulls the slides wide open just as the flipper is hitting the bar. That also helps to keep the cable from stretching too much overtime. If this still doesn't work then bypass the TORS as terret said. However i don't believe that the TORS is what is causing your problem, more likely a stator or wire shorting somewhere.

Back