Hey VMAX John

yamyrider

How are you.
I just puchased a brand new 2003 VMAX 600ER triple for my wife as a Valentine gift.
She has been riding a Polaris touring sled which she found to big and heavy for her to control. She loves to ride but get tired of felling all the bumps and having to lean in every corner.
What are some things I can do to make this sled suite her and her riding style. She is 5.6feet tale and weights 140 lbs (if I am too high with the weight she will kill me).
Should I put adjustable transfer rods and agressive carbides and what about studs.
I know what I would do if I was riding this machine but she does not like how I have my SX700R set up.
Thanks.

P.S I wish I could have purchased one of those excellent 4 strokes but $$$$$ the price was right on the VMAX. Too good to pass up.

On that skid, you should run both center and rear shocks on their lowest settings. Run the limiter straps as loose as you can without excessive push in the corners.

If no studs (since you're in Ontario and icy corners aren't usually a problem) I'd go with 4" Bergstrom Triple Point carbide bars and Scott's recommended Skisavers. They will help the skis go where she points them.

With studs, step up to 6" version of the same flavor, and go with 96 studs, follow the stud makers recs for penetration. I'd stud the outer belts too, as this helps a sled turn in my experience.

Keep the track as loose as you can without racheting, slides will last nearly forever.

Also, make sure your skis slice into ruts by double checking your ski runner pressure. Read the article on darting in the Tech page for details, this really helps a sled and rider go all day without complaint.

One more thing, Yamaha's sleds come with a very loose secondary setting. tightening it 10* will help your wife's throttle thumb alot, since she will get more rpm for a given throttle position. This helped my wife a ton!

Good luck!

Back