SX ratcheting...couple ?'s

Kendoo

OK, I found the cause of the Ratcheting on my '99 SX700. The drivers are worn. I've got the skid out of the sled, and I'm trying to pull the chaincase from the tunnel. Is the brake rotor suppose to come off with it? Any tips on getting the chaincase off? Is it 100% necessary to remove it to get the drive shaft out?

2nd question. How are the drivers held on the shaft? Can I flip these around and re-install since only the 1 side is worn?

Thanks in advance for any help....Ken

the brake rotor will come off. make sure the key between the rotor and jackshaft does not get lost. it takes some wiggling to get the case off. if you flip the drivers, they might slip when braking instead! go to the tech section under track swap. there is a lot of good info that will really help it go faster.

Last edited:
do you have 4 sets of drives or 2. I think I may have a set of 9 tooth ones somewhere. Maxdlx

2 drivers. Are they pressed on? I've been following the track swap directions in the tech section. All good info, just having problems getting the case off. I wasn't sure if I should be pulling the rotor off with the case. I'll take one of you guys up on the offer to sell me drivers, just let me get the shaft out first. Also, the bearing on the speedo side is on there pretty good. Is there enough room to get a puller in there?

yes, took them right out. So how do I go about replacing the drivers? Do I have to bring the shaft to the shop?

make sure you get a set of 4 drivers. the outside 2 also need to have teeth. I can't find mine so take n2 up for his. Maxdlx ps if you score the shaft lightly it lets you press the new ones on easier.

The outside ones are just idlers on my sled. Are you saying I should replace them with drivers?

Yeap, while you are at it replace them. It makes a big difference. Did it to my 97 and stopped the ratcheting. Maxdlx

yes i did that to my '97 SX 700 as well, thing ratcheted like crazy before it had 4 drivers on it.

Back