Cleaning Power Valves

2ooosrx

VIP Member
Website
www.cbperformanceparts.com
Here is a tip for some of you guys who have trouble cleaning your powervalves. I had some of this stuff laying around so instead of messing with solvents, I tried some aircraft paint remover on the PV's. It just ate through the carbon. All you have to do is spray it on, let it soak for 10 seconds and start scrubing with a scotch pad and within seconds the face is clean on the powervalve. IT is the easiest thing I have tried and it eats the carbon much more efficiently then other solvents. Just a tip to speed up your cleaning process.

Working at a GM dealer i tried a product called "Kleens" on the advise of a mechanic, let the PV soak for a few hours and turns carbon to mush, just wipes off ..........James

The PV has a hard coating on it so the aircraft remover does not penetrate through that. I am telling you guys, this is the way to go for cleaning the PV. Spray it on, wait 10 seconds and scrub for 5 seconds and it is all gone. Worked perfectly.

2ooosrx said:
Here is a tip for some of you guys who have trouble cleaning your powervalves. I had some of this stuff laying around so instead of messing with solvents, I tried some aircraft paint remover on the PV's. It just ate through the carbon. All you have to do is spray it on, let it soak for 10 seconds and start scrubing with a scotch pad and within seconds the face is clean on the powervalve. IT is the easiest thing I have tried and it eats the carbon much more efficiently then other solvents. Just a tip to speed up your cleaning process.

Where can i buy some??

that stuff is some strong stuff it will eat through anything but metal.

pro116 said:
that stuff is some strong stuff it will eat through anything but metal.

lol, I can vouch for that, when I was cleaning my PV's I was using a big scotch pad so I folded it and all of a sudden it unfolded on me and shot some of that stuff in my eye. Man did that sting. I flushed my eye under water for 10 minutes and was good to go. To bad it can't get anodizing :o|

Someone told me that they have used easy off oven cleaner or BBQ grill cleaner and it worked pretty good. I haven't tried it but thought it maight worth mentioning.

Do not use oven cleaner. You'll really be sorry as that stuff eats right into the metal on those powervalves. It will pit them.

Jon

Back