Carb Gurus A Little Help Please

Bischof

I have a 97' SX 700 with Power Inc (RIP) center dump pipes.
3 years ago I installed a Tempa-Flo and jetted way safe. 148.8, 148.8, 147.5
I burned up my motor last year, rebuilt it, cleaned the carbs (they looked clean to begin with) made no changes to the set up and the machine ran the rest of the season without any problems.
I've been hearing mixed and sometimes negative reviews of the tempa flo, and I began wondering if this may have caused the machine to run lean so I've decided to remove it. Here's where I need your help. I hate to say it but I'm not sure how to change the venting back to stock.
Can someone help me out or does anyone have an idea where I can get a clear diagram on the venting. I have a service manual but it really doesn't give a clear description (at least ot me) of the hose routing. I'm confused about how and which lines run through the rack and which drop down below the carbs.
Thanks for the help.
Greg

My carbs are off and venting is stock from day one. Would you like me to take pics and send them to you??? (97 700SX)

Tod

If you have all the stock hoses, what simply happens is they are all teed together and 2 hoses drop down in the middle for venting.........

Tod,
Did I ever tell you that your my hero?
That would be great if you could do that. I know I didn't change much when I rerouted the vents for the tempa flo but it's been 3 years! Hell I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.
I'll PM you my e-mail addy.
Thanks again.
Greg

If that is the case then all I'm going to need to do is disconnect one T and drop the lines back down below the carbs.
Thanks for the reply.
Greg

I think you are dialed in now but I will send you a pic anyway. Just to make sure.

Tod

yep, I think thats all they do is take the 2 exit hoses and run them up, so just point them back down and they should hang down below the carbs like 2"

they are right about the venting, as for the tempaflow, did the burndown happen shortly after you were sitting for a period, with the engine either running or shut off. When you aren't moving, the heat from the pipes and engine warms up the underhood area A LOT, and makes the tempaflow think it is much warmer out than it really is, so then when you nail it down the trail it makes the mixture much too lean and pop. Anytime you have been sitting you gotta take it easy for the first mile or two, no wide open blasts, just vary the throttle position alot (blurping it) until the tempaflow body cools off to the intake temperature, then you should be good.

carb vent line pic

I have more if needed.

Attachments

• DSC02330.JPG
    DSC02330.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the photo Tod, it's just as 800 described.
After talking to you guys I went home and looked at the unit and it was pretty clear what I needed to do. I actually had the original tubing that hangs down in the box with the tempa flo parts. About a 5 second job when you know what to do.
Yamaholic22, the burndown occured while trail riding in temps in the teens varying speeds around 60 to 90 MPH. This was after being on the trails for an hour or so. As for running the machine after start up, I always did what Tempa Flo recommended, that is to operate at moderate levels and to vary the throttle position for approx a mile or so.
Thanks again Tod I appreciate the time you took to post the photo and help me out.
Greg

The Tempa Flo has left the building.

Back