Handwarmers get half warm

kinger

VIP Member
Still can't figure this one out, my handwarmers only get half warm. I may be down to replacing them, and the rehostat and hope it isn't the CDI. Any other ideas on what may be causing half heat?

You could check resistance through the grips, each grip should have about 1.9 ohms resistance, if it is higher, then its junk.

Just had to replace one on a Viper, high resistance in the left grip, musta broke a wire.

Talking to a dealer last week and he said the viper warmers are based on rpm's and nobody can seem to figure out why some work good and some do not. Jason ;):D

The thumb will melt your glove it gets so hot. Remember though there are two dials one for thumb and other for grips. I tested the ohms last year and they were within spec but i'll double check again. Anyone know the range of ohms when you turn the reostat from low to high? Thanks

Did you ride the machine for any great amount of time ? It could take a little more than just a ride down the driveway to get them nice and toasty. I wouldnt do anything until you ride the machine for a few miles.

Hand Warmers

Had that problem on my 01 SXR 700 and had to replace the CDI. It hurt but it was worth it.

Is your heated shield wired to the hand warmers? I had trouble with mine when the heated shield was wired to them.

G.B.

Bump to the top, sorry to keep cluttering up the thread, you guys think I should just start hanging parts on this?

Last question I suppose if I had a wire rub through issue that might cause something as well to uh? I better check that damn thing...

Hey Kinger, have you done a search on this site? Try typing in"Handwarmers" and check there including the thread under "handwarmers not working" mdkuny. There were alot of us having HW problems last year.You'll find some specs there and some interesting reading on HW problems. Mine was a bad left grip, usually the problem was a broken wire in the circut somewhere. Had the grips on my wifes XTC quit working while back, found out one of the wires had come unplugged. Hopes this helps, Soc

Thanks SOC, yeah I was writing in those thread from last year, everything checks out OK, the reostat, grips, etc. Maybe I'll throw some blue grips on for Bling and hope there is a short circuit in there. :)

I had the same problem on my srx. I think what I did was hooked up a single warmer at a time. One got hot and the other didn't. Regardless, when I replaced thje warmer it worked fine. I remember my dealer saying this was a commen problem.

Back