98 srx 700 vs 96 thundercat

adam4by4

my 98 srx 700 has vforce reeds cold air kit bender can hot rods and a heelclicker clutch kit custom helix setup 1" camo predator w 144 woody picks and my ridin buddy has a 96 thundercat 900 other than clutch kit hes stock and picked and its got about 4 or 5000 miles more than my srx (3200mi) from 0 to 80 on hardpack plowed road do i have a chance and do any of you have any storie about beating a t-cat any year or model? :yam:

:die: thundercat 900

What style of pick and how long are they? Racing from a dead stop? You're gonna have to gear down some to get him, but we've done it before. Don't race til you have the sled ready.

yes this can definately be done if you tune well. My well tuned '97 SX 700 with pipes took a 1000 thundercat and ZRT 800 to about 100 mph, then they passed me and were gone.

just so you know that bender cold air kit isn't going to be gaining you anything. The location behind the windshield can actually hurt your top end because of the negative relative pressure created behind the windshield at high speeds, starving the engine for air, richening the mixture. It is the same principle as when you ride fast in powder snow and your back gets covered with snow, from the negative pressure formed behind you as the air tries to move around your body.

My friend had a 2001 SRX 700 and beat a thundercat but he did say they worked well and he was surprised how well it worked. But then again he only had a 700 and beat a 900cc sled so even if you loose your still a winner...lol :die: Arctic Cat, O woops I have one of them too..
I have a 97 ZRT 800 clutched and piped, will have to line them up this year for sure and let everyone know how they made out... My money's on my yami thou...

mainly if youve ever looked at one installed its not like thats the only place it draws air in its still the same as stock only there is holes cut into the hood so colder air not just whats under your hood(exhaust pipe heated air) can be pulled into the engine and the average temp of the air entering the airbox is 7-12 degrees cooler which as everyone else know colder air (more oxygen) makes more horsepower even with as little gain as it is its still improves performance and breathing . And explain to me how it starvs the engine when it also draws air the same way as a stock its not like an enclosed direct port intake its still drawing air from under the hood thru the airbox same as when it was stock . And even if it just lets the air pushed in thru the front vents on the hood flow faster under the hood and out the cold air holes its still dropping the temp of the air entering the engine which is why I had to rejet like a mofo after this mod was done to get it just right and it was the first mod i did and the seat of pants midrange dyno told me it worked

If you really want the holeshot, replace your pics with somewhere around a 1.200 chisel push through or t-nut style. You might want to consider adding another 48 just to insure the holeshot. If ya get 'em good on the line, it's gonna be tough for him to come get ya. Consider somewhere around a gear ratio of 2 to 1, or something like a 20/40 or a 19/39. Practice your holeshots on the same kind of surface and adjust the transfer rods so the skis just come off the ground a few inches. Tighten the front shock in the suspension and loosen the rear. Don't forget to loosen the limiter straps. After all of this, sharpen the chisels and then go get him. (Needless to say you probably shouldn't be giving him a progress report on what's going on in your garage.)

cant run those studs too long will tear apart my sled and im a hard trail rider not too concerned with beating him (not enough to change my whole set up) but i am a freak about my control rods and there set perfect for my weight and style just one or 2 clicks to drag mode

FUNNY: I do all my work in his garage lol hes my best friend(with tools) I am helping him and him me restud our tracks in about a week

You should be able to beat him with the 700. My 600 is tuned geared down and with proper clutching to get power to the ground I was beating thunderpuppies in the 660 to 1000 range. After 90 my little 600 drops off and they would take me top end. Its great to beat the big sleds with a little motor. Everybody thinks my sled has engine work and the motor is stock. You need proper clutching and gears and enough picks to get the track to hook up. 2 notches from full out on transfer rods should be perfect and be able to still trail ride with out the front end getting screwy. Just my 2 cents.

yes those studs will work with proper protection, but they will have A LOT of penetration and be much more prone to bending, breaking, and pulling out.

Yup, you're right, Yam22. I lost my head for a moment. I figured that we could get him studded up, go out and spank the big boy and then pull 'em out. Once you get 'em for a few times out, there's no point in racing again. Sometimes we Hammer guys have to work hard to prove the point, been doing it for years, but we've been getting it done..

I have an 01 srx 700, 2 years ago raced a 1000 thunderchicken, lost by 2 sled legnths, older version of heelclickers. Last year with raced him again with the new 2 stage hammertime weights and beat by him by 4 sleds and yes that is with an m-10 in it.

one thing noone has mentioned yet...isnt the bender can LOSING him power?? everything I have heard is that the srx always loses power with anyhting other than a stock can.

I dont think it helps any just think it sounds a little better i personally dont think it lost anything other than 15 lbs that old one was a beast weighed a ton!!

i wanna know how many people are on these thundercat 1000's and 900's while you are beating them with 600 and 700's..... I love my yammy but the ZR900 sitting beside it wouldn't have ANY trouble with a close to stock 600 or 700 anything ...Yamaha or not, and the Pantera 1000 beside it goes over 100mph gps with 2 riders, and wastes no time getting there. This all sounds great on a forum but if you guys are beating them, there is something wrong with their sleds. Don't hate me, just making a point based on my experience.
:yam:

Last edited:

Back