uh oh...

bluelightning

hey all

thanks for all the help in previous posts. i finally got around to cleaning the carbs today. they were pretty clean actually, but i figured while it was out to remove the jets and fuel screws and give it a good cleaning. you guys were right, it really wasnt that bad! put it back together, tightened up the choke cable and throttle cable, and just started cranking with all my might. after about 20 pulls, i got a cough, and at 21, bam started right up! kept blipping the choke as the revs were going up and down, and once it was warm, she settled in at a nice 1800rpm idle.

now heres where the problem is. if i hit the gas more than a hair, she bogs, almost to the point of stalling. if i just touch the throttle, it revs up no problem. but once i bring the rpms up to about 3800, they shoot up to 4500 and just stay there and wont go back down unless i hit the kill switch......

just hoping you guys can help me fix something i apparently screwed up..... :(

Try flipping the choke on when the idle sticks at 4500. If that drops it down, that shows that your a little bit lean.

throttle cable is adjusted too tight, and the bog is because the TORS is probably kicking in.

if the throttle was to tight, wouldnt the idle be at a higher rpm? when i touch the gas and get it up to 4500 when it stays up there, i let off the throttle and it does nothing, but if i hit the kill switch on and off, and then its fine at 1800 again....ill take a look at the throttle cable i guess.....

crewcheif, thanks. your right it really wasnt that bad! each othe the fuel screws was only backed off a full turn from bein all the way tight, so thats what i put them back in at...

alot of vipers stick at 4500 , try bring down your idel rpms alittle until the hang up goes away , on the bog , i would think if your running stock jets it is your fuel screw that need to be turneds out alittle , if your running leaner jets and if the bog goes away if you use the choke and hit it , it means your to lean on the jets . my buddys sled almost died when you hit it from a stop , and he burned it down ...also try bypassing the tors , if the bog goes away then you need to reset your tors .. very easy job ..

when the TORS kicks in doesnt the coolant light flash?

throttle is much more responsive when i tryed hitting it at full choke....so im running lean? will this be remedied by turned the fuels screws out? they were only 1 turn out when i took it apart, so thats how i put them back....

Check to see if one of the slides is sticking, and also check to see if the carbs are still in sync. Check the throttle freeplay at the handlebar.

slides all seemed to be operating fine when i had the carbs out.

how do i bypass tors? just unplug it?

still gonna take the carbs out and adjust the fuel screws....will 2 turns out be running it too rich? i would much rather run rich than lean

when you unplug the tors you need to plug the ends into each other , like make a horse shoe with them ..

The tors wires are the 2 wires that hook to the mag side of the carbs. Unplug them, and then replug them back into each other. I'd loosen your throttle cable first, you can let it loose, and see if that fixes your problem. Maxdlx

took carbs back off, took fuel crews out to 1.5 turns. also tryed bypassing tors, and loosening throttle cable, and same thing keeps happening....i dont get it.......should i take the fuel screws out to 2 turns?

well guys, i've tryed everything that you have mentioned. throttle cable not binding. bypassed TORS, took carbs off AGAIN and slides are operating fine, and i even took the fuel screws out to 2 full turns. what am i doing wrong here? after being warmed up, still bogs if i give it more then 1/4 throttle, and when the revs get up to 4200 they stay there, unless i turn the choke on full. with choke on, it revs up and down freely, even with full throttle, but almost stalls out if i dont blip the throttle to keep it running....i appreciate the help so far, but is there anything i'm missing? im gettin really frustrated that i can't get this thing to run :(

how about ,,You tightened up the main jets too tight and NOW the metering rods are getting stuck and keeping your throttle plates open?????????

A little different, but I had a problem like that last year when I adjusted my idling to 1700-1800rpm. She would rev high and not return back down. I readjusted my idling down to 1400-1500 and she was perfect. Takes only a second to do and I would recommend it. But make sure she is below 1500.

Doug

Back