uh oh...

You know, I didn't put the air jets in the "carb cleaning guide". I wonder if something didn't plug those up when you cleaned the carbs? Was there alot of crap in the air-box? or the air-box side of the carbs? If it runs on choke after it warms up, it sounds like it's REAL lean. If the air jets were/got plugged, then that would explain this. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The air jet controls the amount of air entering the pilot circuit, the pilot jet controls the amount of fuel entering the pilot circuit and the fuel screw adjusts how much of that mixture gets into the intake. Right?!?! So if the air jet is partially or fully plugged, the sled may run on choke, Idle high due to lean condition when not on choke and not respond to fuel screw adjustments...........
:rocks:

Attachments

• airjet.jpg
    airjet.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 5

yes you are correct. i never remember to tell guys to clean them either, but always do it myself. You can blow carb and choke through them with just the airbox top and shelf off too. Maxdlx

ian just sent you a PM before i read this thread over again, and by golly i think your on to somethin!!!!!!! when i took them out, there was sticky stuff all over the bottom of the inlet side of the carb, right above that thing your pic is pointing at, and the air box was full of sticky stuff too......is that from the guy before me fogging it possibly?
ill have to try cleaning those, i really think/hope that is my problem, fits all the symptoms! does that air jet screw out, or do i just clean it? man i cant wait to try that i really hope thats it.

The air jet does screw out just like the other two inside the carb. I would take maxdlx's advice and spray them down first and make sure the surrounding area is clean before you take them out, or you could try it without removing them, depends on how much crud is there. The stuff in the box could be fogging oil and it should be cleaned out as well. Be carefull you don't crossthread them putting them back in, they're a little small and hard to deal with. Also, if you leave the carbs installed, don't put them back in with the box out or you'll drop one into the "botomless pit" under the motor. you may want to reset those fuel screws too. Stock setting 99 700 srx is 1 and an eighth turns out. Somebody may have a better setting, I don't have one of these. :)

yea i noticed that the stock setting for the fuel screws is 1 and 1/8 im gonna turn those back in. didnt have a chacne to get out to the sled today, but i was thinking....if the air jet is plugged...wouldnt that cause a rich mixture due to lack of air? either way, gonna wake up early tommorow and clean them out, hope that takes care of it

bluelightning said:
yea i noticed that the stock setting for the fuel screws is 1 and 1/8 im gonna turn those back in. didnt have a chacne to get out to the sled today, but i was thinking....if the air jet is plugged...wouldnt that cause a rich mixture due to lack of air? either way, gonna wake up early tommorow and clean them out, hope that takes care of it

crewchief47 said:
The air jet controls the amount of air entering the pilot circuit, the pilot jet controls the amount of fuel entering the pilot circuit and the fuel screw adjusts how much of that mixture gets into the intake.

If no air enters the circuit, nothing will leave it, I think. How's that for definitive. ;)! Of course the bowl has vents so there is air behind it....hmmmmmmm............(I'm getting a headache)............

ok guys...cleaned the air jets now too...still seems to be doing the whole revving thing though...any other ideas?

OK guys, I'm about out of ideas for the guy. We've been Pm'ing back and forth as well. I have no direct experience with the srx's so I'm not well read on them.

nosboy said:
how about ,,You tightened up the main jets too tight and NOW the metering rods are getting stuck and keeping your throttle plates open?????????

Is that really a posibility or a stab in the dark? I haven't heard/seen that but I'm still learnin'. ;)!

Could this be Reeds? He's mentioned that the RPM's will come back down after about 10 seconds since he cleaned the air jets. I don't know, it's snowing here and I can't concentrate. :rockon:

:die: SRX

I still think your binding on something, ...can you take a photo from the top of your airbox and post? You were'nt having this problem before your carb cleaning right?

hey guys,

got a good amount of snow today and i was able to take her for a good blast....the idling problem went away....i dont get it?

Back