Can you put an 2000 SRX motor in a 98'?

what all are you changing? other than the motor (jugs, heads, crank and case) i'd think that'd be it other than maybe the cdi. not sure on the cdi. other than that i believe its pretty straight forward out-in procedure. someone should chime in if i'm wrong or leavin something out...

The motor will bolt in & work with the 98 CDI as long as you use the 98 carbs with out TPS on them. The exhaust port is very slightly higher & the squish is tighter.

If you put a 2000-2002 motor in a 98-99 srx you have to drill and tap the pick-up coil for stator. They are not the same. The newer sleds have a different igintion system then the older ones.(98-99) Because of the dual headlight the stator-flywheel are different.

Also if you put a newer motor in, drill and tap the pick-up. You better know what your doing beacuse you are messing with the timing. To far advanced and you will burn that motor down, to far retared and it will run like sh-t.

if you are changing the whole engine and everything, along with the flywheel and stator you shouldn't have to drill anything, but as others said you will need the updated cdi if you plan on using the 3D ignition with the TPS input, and you could also switch to the dual bulb headlight system while you are at it, now that you will have the means to power it.

Yeah, that seems like it would be the easiest. I'm assuming the carbs are the same but didn't the 2000 have different main jets? My 98 needs the crank redone and probably a set of rings etc. Its starting to get pretty expensive. I'm thinking I may be better off looking for a used motor from a 2000-2002. What's everyone think?

jaydaniels said:
. I'm thinking I may be better off looking for a used motor from a 2000-2002. What's everyone think?
Yeah thats what I did last year when my srx engine pooped to bed on the lake.. Instead of replacing the crank and all for like 800-1000 dollars I went out and found a new engine for 750 dollars....SOLD
my 2 cents
Garth

put a post in the wanted ad classifieds. i can guarantee somebody will have something for you. just be sure you get the carbs with it if you go with those years for the TPS and the cdi wiring harness. you can get the dual light and dash pod for a good price as well

ooh geez yeah you wont need them if you already have. if all else fails on your search for the motor you can part out the sled as a last resort and get a 00--02 for a good price. hope it works out for you.

Your '98 does not have TPS unless you somehow installed it and are using the cdi from a 00-02 srx for the tps input. The ignition maps on the 98-99s are two dimensional and do not have a third axis for the TPS. The 00-02 ignitions are 3D and have a third axis for TPS input.

I think I may be confusing the TPS for the TORS. I guess the TPS stands for Throttle Position Sensor and TORS is for Throttle Override System. Is that right?

jaydaniels said:
I think I may be confusing the TPS for the TORS. I guess the TPS stands for Throttle Position Sensor and TORS is for Throttle Override System. Is that right?

Right on ;)!

Back