The SRX took a s***

MaximaFan

Was having a great day of riding stopped in at a local rest stop for an hr than took off and drove down the ditch about 2 miles and all of a sudden it just sputtered out and lost power and would not pull over again. Can anyone tell me if this has happend to them there was no backfire or anything just shut down. The pull cord will not move which tells me its a piston. So if anyone has parts for me let me know, its at the dealer waiting to be diagnosed. Any ideas of the cheapest way to get this fixed?

JT

Yup it burnt down. Well you will need a cylinder, head, piston, for sure and you never know what else has happened untill you open her up.

Again, same thing happened to me also. It wasnt my piston or heads. It was the crank, "balancing lobe." Nothing like being on the lake and having your sled poop to bed. Just like you said, " couldnt even pull the pull cord."
garth

If it is a burnt piston don't forget to check the carb for that cylinder. Might as well check all the carbs. Make sure they are clean.

It isn't necessarilly a piston/cylinder, could also be a crank bearing that locked the engine up, or even a broken piston skirt that fell down and got wedged into the bottom of the case by the rod. Never know until you get it apart.

you cant really know what happened till you open her up.
It is never fun or cheap when the seize like that. Each diferent failure can cause a number of other problems.
Hopefully you only need a piston and ring.

I hope it is something that got caught it sure seemed like it was. There was no backfires or anything it seemed like something got wedged in between something and just locked it up and shut it down. There were no wild noises or anything though? I have a guy tearing it down this week I will keep you guys up to date.
JT

Be sure to check all fuel lines, vacuum, ect on jugs. Got screwed by Houlton Power Sports INC. in Maine last year(bought sled as is where is type thing)Amazingly it ran great. Couldn't ride because there was no snow yet but put my trust in them anyway. First ride i got on her and immediately knew something was wrong, boggish and no top end. Cost me over 1400.00 to repair at local dealership. My point is that if i fixed it myself i would've changed the parts and it would have burnt up all over again. Even though it cost me alot to have the dealer fix it i learned a valuable lesson, if it blew up make sure you find out why it blew up cause there is usually a reason it did. the pulse line on the cylinder had dry rotted which leaned it out. Also the center cylinder fuel line was leaking a bit as well. P.s. Houlton Power Sports sucks!

Figured out last night I blew the middle cylinder due to a gummed up jet in the carb so if anyone has a new cylinder for a 2000 SRX let me know I am in the market.
Also what is the best price you have seen for a new Wiseco piston for this model?
JT

Id stick with oem parts Maximafan.Rebuilt mine last year all yammy parts, 1450 miles later still no problems!

yes dont put a wiseco in there.when i bought my 2nd 2000 from big moose last year they took it in on a trade in & same thing no snow but when i got it home it was idiling in the garage & that was the end of it.center so called them up & they replaced the clyinder,all the pistions,crank bearning& seals,all new power vavles,come to find out the speedo cable didnt even work so also found out that what i thought was low miles.(didnt know the actaull miles) i didnt know if i got robbed on the sled or made out with all the parts they put in.they did me good though & they had it done a week before they said they would.

Anyone have an OEM piston and cylinder for a 2000 SRX 7 and has anyone had sucess with Wiseco pistons?
JT

Back