How will changing the gearing affect my sled?

yamaholic22

There is a lot of confusion about how changing the gearing in the chaincase will change the characteristics of the sled on the bottom end and top end. Hopefully this will clear that up.

General Rules:

1.Bigger top gear (going up on teeth on top) will give MORE top end, LESS bottom end. Going to a smaller gear will do the opposite, giving less top end but better bottom end
2. Bigger bottom gear will give MORE BOTTOM END, and less top end. Smaller bottom gear will give more top end

Now, it needs to be noted that just throwing in a ratio for better top end will probably not get you more top end unless you have added power to pull the taller gearing. It is just like manual transmissions in most standard cars. In most cases the car will not reach redline in high gear because it doesn't have the power to overcome all of the resistance on the vehicle at speeds that high, such as the wind resistance mostly, as well as driveline friction, road friction, etc. But if you add power to the vehicle and leave the gears stock, it will pull more rpms on top end and might reach the redline, where it would be beneficial to go to a higher gear ratio (say from 2.1 to 1.9) in order to increase the top end.

*When people say "taller gears" they usually mean a setup with a lower NUMBER ratio, which will increase top end if you have the power to pull it. Like people will say 5th gear is TALLER than 4th gear.

alot of times by gearing down you will hold the same top end but you can shift it harder so you will accel harder to the same top end.the faster sled 99 percent off the time does not win the quicker one does.i geared my sled as turk told me on the speedo it will show 180 kilos .before it would only show 170 kilos then i clutched it heavy and it accels way faster and is faster on top.With a variable helix it lets you get to the lower numbers faster and you can turn more weight for better accel

Back