normal oil consumption?

bluelightning

hey all,
when i bought my sled (srx700), oil resivoir was about 1/3 full, and i topped it off with yamalube. 2 tankfuls of gas later (sorry cant give mileage speedo still not workin), the oil resevoir was down to almost 1/4! is this normal oil consuption? seems a bit high to me, although i have no experiece with sleds or 2 strokes prior to this, all my dirt bikes were thumpers. 80% of the riding was in the foot of powder we got on friday, runnin WOT across fields near my house.

hard to tell 1/3s and 1/4s with the odd shaped tank.

measure how much oil you use and how much gas you use and figure out the ratio your running.

I get around 150-175 miles to a quart on the srx, but that is with amsoil interceptor leaned down a mm. Vipers can also be about that good. The sx triples aren't quite as good, but still good.

Oil consumption

Last year on my Canada ride I used exactly 3 1/2 quarts for an 1100 mile trip in my 2003 Viper. Some of the SKI-DOO guys were using a quart every 125 miles. My SRX is very similar. Funny, in 1997 I had an SX 700 and on the same trip I used more than twice the amount of oil.

my srx was frequently close to 200 miles per litre (quart) i usually shoot for 150-180 miles per litre (quart).

your better off adding oil every tank of gas, then you can acurately gauge consumption. one quart of oil for every 10 gallons of fuel would be close to 40:1 ratio.

thats a decent ratio not too rich not to lean. imho. ski

Oil consumption

Yes I am sure. I filled the tank to the top before I left and carried 3 extra quarts with me. I used the 3 quarts and when I pulled back into the hotel after 1100 miles the tank was about 1/2 quart low. After the first day most of the other guys dropped a quart in and it was not enough to fill their res. I looked at mine and it was down but would not take a full quart. My SRX is the same

how big is the resevoir in an srx? it just seemed like quite a bit to me i dont know why

but like i said, my speedo doesnt work, so i dont know what im gettin for mileage :(

a little bit, but not horrible. What kind of oil are you running? If you are running a good synthetic oil you could lean it down some and be okay yet.

still runnin yamalube but after reading some threads im thinking of switching to somethin else, just dont know what yet

Yamma lube

Lots of people knock Yammalube, but it all I have ever in in all my Yamaha's except for the VMAX 4 which I run Klotz only because the PO ran it and I did not want to go through the hassle of switching. Yamaha spends lots of $$$ on R & D. I don't think that they would sell inferior oil. I don't doubt that some other brands snoke less or can be run leaner, but dollar for dollar I'll still use it.

Yamaha doesn't even make yamalube, citgo does, and it isn't good oil if you want your engine to still be tight at 5,000, 10,000, or even 15,000 miles. Synthetic oils prevent wear MUCH better than an organic based oil.

Back