best way to remove a stipped powervalve screw?

ajviper

best way to remove a stripped powervalve screw?

Removed powervalves this weekend to clean and ended up stripping one of the four allen head screws on the last one. It's the head that's stripped not the threads. They weren't that bad, so I let it go, but I need to eventually remove it and would like the best way to do so.

I am planning on using a dremel tool to make a cut in the head and remove it with a straight screwdriver, but would like to hear other ideas, assuming it's happend to many on here.

Last edited:

dang man ouch that sucks!! i bet its in there tight have you tried a small 5 inch set of vice grips? if your careful enough you could try and use an impact hammer punch set to make a notch in it for a screw driver. i did that on other applications and in some cases it came loose in the process

Use the dermel to cut a slot then use a hand impact with a straight blade screwdriver and give it a tap. It will loosen right up.

tomseal6 said:
dang man ouch that sucks!! i bet its in there tight have you tried a small 5 inch set of vice grips? if your careful enough you could try and use an impact hammer punch set to make a notch in it for a screw driver. i did that on other applications and in some cases it came loose in the process

I use this method on any stripped bolts. If you do it this way right away you should save some time and your knuckles. I actually did it on a stuck pv bolt, and it worked well.

I'll try the vise grip route first and then cut it for a screwdriver. I tapped it with a punch after I felt it slip, but it was too late I had already rounded it.

Anyone know the thread type and length? I'm hoping I can maybe go to the local hardware and not the dealer.

Thanks!

ajviper said:
I'll try the vise grip route first and then cut it for a screwdriver. I tapped it with a punch after I felt it slip, but it was too late I had already rounded it.

Anyone know the thread type and length? I'm hoping I can maybe go to the local hardware and not the dealer.

Thanks!

take one of the screws and match it up at the local hard ware store, but it is metric. but there is a possiblity that your dealer could have one in stock . should cost but a few cents

I just did this last weekend and I would bet the same screw, bottom closest to the exhaust???

What I did was pull the exhaust, the pipes are numbered so install is easy. I then drilled the head about 1/3rd of the way and was then able to tap the allen wrench back in and grab the origional hex. If that doesn't work cut the head with the dremel and use a flat head screw driver, be sure to give it a good whack first to loosen up the threads. Good luck!

On bolt heads of this type I have pounded in a torx bit into the hole that is now rounded. The sides of the trox bites into the sides. I use the ones that are a socket style not screwdriver style. Usually have very good luck with this. ;)!

CRAFTSMAN easy outs they cost about 5 bucks and you can use them for everything
just drill them in forward and when your in a little bit just turn the drill to reverse and they are kind of like a backwards fluted drill bit they grab when being turned out so it just spins them right out ...although id only use them if you cant do it with a dremel and screwdriver they work well depending how tight the screws are

Back