Help 81 SRX 440 Not starting ?

Vmax540

VIP Member
Website
vintagevmax.com
Completely stock cylinders with new pistons/seals/gaskets and compression at 128 & 130 lbs. Stock exhaust and air box. Timing dead on, good sharp (?)blue spark with BR9EV's. 38 Round slides and jetting specs off a 1985 up chart for a Vmax 540 carbs, have new needles/seats and floats set at 18mm. Fires and sometimes sputters on the first 3-5 pulls any more pulls and recoil gets hard to pull. Take off the exhaust and pour 2-3 ounces of gas out of pipes let everything dry out and repeat with same results ? Sled was starting the same start before rebuild and had the old butterfly carbs.

Thanks for any help !
Chuck

H 814 354-2687
W 814 226-1595 7-2 chkinetics@csonline.net
http://www.vintagevmax.com/

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=vintagevmax

what I would do is remove the pipes and blow compressed air in under the pistons thru the exh port when they are up at TDC, the case has gas puddled up in it and it wont start until you get all the extra fuel out. Pinch off the fuel lines when trying to start it next time and see if it will light off, if it does, its maybe a leaking needle and seat letting constant flow of fuel in past the needle. Any gas come out of the vent lines when you pull it over for a while? ever checked the vent on the gastank? if they get plugged, sometimes they act like a syphon and flood the carbs, then starve them.

if this doesnt solve it drop the sled off in Ohio, I have been wanting another 81 srx to restore....LOL

Wow...... isn't the internet something.......! These are things I didn't check or do and I didn't even know the fuel pump could do that and it is still the same pump as before Hmmmmmm...... Thanks guys I'll keep you informed !

pull both pulse line off , watch & see if fuel comes out of the pump sides , if it does the gaskets are shot , if I remember correct there are two pumps ?

Put, a clear line on for the pulse (the SRX has only one pump) and pulled her over and no gas leaked from pump But, gas tried to come from crank case. We pulled the carbs and hooked compressed air to the C.C. pulse line and Wow....... gas just bubbled out of the intakes, spark plug holes and exhaust ! Gonna let her dry out and recheck the needles and seats. The manual shows to set the float at 18mm with a ruler does, anyone know if you should set the ruler on the inside of float bowl seat and measure with or without the F.B. gasket ? Is there such a thing as a float adjustment tool ? Thanks again everyone !

She LIVES....well Sorta.......Dryed it out and on the 2n'd pull it came to LIFE without using the choke and ran for ~ 2 minutes and started bogging so, I fipped the choke to half position and it still died. Well seems the C.C. is flooded again ! Any thoughts ? Thanks !

keep goin, your gettin close

I would try drying it out about 3 more times, when you have fuel puddled up in the case, it wont fire, its just too rich.

I used to have a 81 srx and one time after it sat on a stand for a suspension change, for about 2-3 weeks, I went to start it and it was locked up, meaning filled right up to the sparkplug with fuel, needless to say it took about 10 times of drying it out before it would light off, once you get it fired up, it will clean out. You shouldnt need the choke to fire it off as the fuel vapor alone in there should be more then rich enough to start it.

On the float adjustment, there is a tool, however I find it much easier to use the ol timer method, take the carb and flip it over, with the bowl off, the needle should just close, not compress the spring shaft in needle, but just close when the float arm that is attached to the needle is just perpendicular(level) to the float bowl mounting surface.

next time when you try to start it, put a pair of needle nose vise grips on the fuel line, to let it just use the gas in the case and carbs, when it fires off, let it run for a couple mins, then after it cleans up, remove the vice grips, this will keep it from pulling any more extra fuel in.

Back