good clutch kit for srx

blueflash

I recently purchased a 98 srx 700 that was totally stock except to a 1 inch camoplast predator track with 144 studs. I just bought some adjustable transfer rods that work great. I figure my next step should be a good clutch kit. Any suggestions on what works good would be appreciated. I was thinking of buying a bender clutch kit.

I wouldnt waste your $$ on a bender kit, just get a set of 2000-02 srx weights(8dn-20) put a 4.5 rivet in both holes, along with a yellow/silver/yellow yamaha primary spring, 51/43 helix with green secondary spring at 70 and it will be a ripper!

Is that clutch setup going to give me the same performance of the bender clutch kit, and what is it going to cost to buy the items that you suggested because the bender clutch kit is listed at 199US and I figured it would cost me about the same to buy the parts individualy, but I dont really know because I havent found a site that lists individual clutch parts?

I suggest you listen to mrviper, he is very knowledgable when it comes to clutching, there are other guys like turk, srxspec, srxmagic just to name a few that can point you in the right direction as well. You could pick up all the parts mrviper listed on here for probably $100.

Go to the classifieds and in the wanted section post the parts you want, that's what I do and usually someone is looking to get rid of some stuff. The green spring from a ontario yamy dealer will be about 40 bucks canadian, the rivets are like 1 buck a piece, the helix will be about 150 canadian, you should be able to get a used one on here from someone, primary spring about 25 bucks canadian from your dealer.

ya works great in any year srx, the 2000 and up already have the 8dn-20 weights, so all you need is the spring,rivets, helix and secondary spring.

One more thing for all you guys to remember is, when someone gives you a clutch set up, you need ALL of the componets set up to the correct specs. To have the kit work correctly, you cant just use 3 or 4 of the parts and expect it to all work the same, all the parts must work together for the desired result.

srx set up

much harder accelaration, much better backshift, its a very stout set up

8dn-20's with 4.5 rivets both holes, with either of the 2 following springs.
yamaha yellow/silver/yellow primary spring or a white/white/white yamaha spring, the white one is slightly more engagement speed is all.
w/w/w is 45/119, the y/s/y is 35/118

anyone of the following: 48-42, 50-42, 51/43,52-42 helix with green spring and set somewhere between 60-80, depends on your weight,traction,helix you choose,etc.

works in any year srx with great results

mrviper700
Since I don't know squat about clutching, is this setup ready to ride or could I wind up with over-reving etc.......I guess my question to you is, do I have to dial it in after install or should this setup be conservative enough that I could put it in and ride it??? I realize it may not be on the razors edge of performance, nor would I prefer to be there. I'm trying not to sound too much like an idoit (too late probably), but are picking up what I'm putting down.......... :die: newby

cpr is the kit to get

i just baught a cpr clutch kit and it woke my sled up. I can pass my buddys zr 900 on the big end no problem.

ok yamahasrx, glad you like your kit, ever try this one? it may make you mad....about half the money from what you paid.

guys, there enough information here for you to install it and ride it, the only thing you have to do with any kit is tailor the secondary twist to your own liking,traction, weight, etc,

MrViper700 is correct. I ran a very similar setup in my 01 SRX and it really ripped. Great performance all the way through the powerband. In my experience the Bender setup is no match for the one listed by Mrviper700. Turk is the one who turned me onto this setup and it has been proven for many years on many SRXs here on TY.

I ran a WWW primary, 8DN20 weights with 4.5 grams in both holes, red secondary at 80 degrees, and a 48-40 Advant-Edge Helix. Follow the advice given in this thread and you'll be happy and save money.

8dn-00 are not as aggressive and alot heavier weight, would not work as well, would way under rev, the 8dn-20's are tuff to beat.

the place the 8dn-00 shines is topend speed radar runs where your not worried about the low speed holeshot, they have massive tip weight for topend speed.

thanks for asking that question. i bought a set of 8dn-00's for $30 but now that i know this, what can they be used for? radar runs in the 1/4 mile possibly????

I help set up a sled that won a race with those 8dn-00,s. We used nuts & bolts in the holes(6.5 grams each hole) with a w-w-w spring & stock secondary set up. They actually work well with a helix about 54/44 also & load the weights to 4.5 grams each & green secondary. I can,t remember the set up exactlybut it worked well. Just gotta get the rpm,s in the sweet spot.I shoulda written down all the set ups I played with!!!!

Back